It's Never Just a Tortoise....

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NW Phoenix, Arizona
That is a quote I credit my wife with from about 4 or 5 tortoises ago. Typically this refers to "needing" to buy a new/ upgraded enclosure or more lighting or thermostats or other shell-puppy(as we call them) accessories. That $400 or $600 plus shipping quickly spirals upwards in overall cost.

A week and a half ago I found a female cherryhead for sale in my state at a very reasonable price, $200. To add to that luck, I had just moved my larger redfoot to a bigger enclosure and just happened to have a full set up ready for a new tenant. This time, it was really just going to be the cost of a tortoise! Had I been more familiar with non-traumatic sickness in tortoises I would have spotted the issue immediately.

IMG_1759.PNG IMG_1758.PNG
Standard new-acquisition-excitement combined with convenience clouded my objective thinking skills. In fact the person was willing to hold onto her for a week and a half and deliver it to Anchorage from Fairbanks, a 6 hour drive. We met in a an easy to find parking lot in Anchorage, she handed the wife the tortoise and I handed her the money then talked briefly about what she had been feeding it and how long she had it. They drove away and we got ready to drive home and I immediately heard the sound of fluid filled breathing.

Realizing after just a brief conversation with the seller that it was amazing the tortoise had lived as long as it did; this girl has a better chance of making it with us than its previous owner so we made the decision there to keep her and do what we can to help her recover. In for a penny, in for a pound we are! Maybe we were over reacting and the girl is just stressed from the long, air conditioned car ride that she spent on a person's lap :-/ Nope, not that easy.

IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1770.JPG
Despite having been sick for at least 3 weeks, likely more, the URI hasn't progressed too far. Her bubbly snot is still quite thin & clear and her ENT pathways appear free of build-up. And something I should have notice in the CL advertisement is her drooping head and limbs(attempts to maximize internal lung surface area)

One odd symptom however is stunted locomotion. She walks oddly and lists side to side like a boat in a storm. In fact she has twice rolled herself onto her side. Could there be other factors at play besides a URI, perhaps kidney damage from being kept improperly is making walking a painful task. I tried asking some followup questions from the seller to help with diagnosis to no avail. Not surprisingly, she has shown zero interest in food but over the last three days I've soaked her daily in a water/pedialyte solution. This has added a meager 40 grams to the 1700g weight from Saturday. While it has no caloric value, this solution could help replace electrolytes essential to nerve conduction and muscle function.

We took a trip to the vet today. Our vet confirmed the obvious URI. The vet took snot swabs to be cultured over the next week and also did blood work to check kidney function for me as she was also kind of bewildered by the odd walking. Has anyone experienced similar locomotion issues with a tortoise?

We then walked out $317 poorer.
FullSizeRender 7 copy.jpg

We also got some parting souvenirs, 10 days of baytril and this stuff called critical care intended to give calories and vitamins to sick critters and help stimulate appetite.
IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1778.JPG

And so, the fun begins. Can you consider a new tortoise a rescue if you paid a "re-homing" fee? I'll update as I get lab results and as she progresses in either direction (+ or -).
FullSizeRender 7.jpg

No, it's never just a tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that sucks, so sorry. Yes, in my opinion, this is a rescue. You rescued her from horrible care and what would have been an eventual slow death. She now has a fighting chance thanks to you two.
Wish you all the best of luck and please keep us updated.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I basically did the same thing, but received my tortoise for free. It's been a few years and I still very much enjoy having her, how much she's grown and how much stronger/healthier she is when I look back at old pictures. I don't think much about the vet bills for her, as I knew they were necessary. She deserved to live.

As for the locomotion...this is just a weird hunch, but when I received my water turtle had a bacterial infection in one of his lungs which caused him to swim to one side. Perhaps something like fluid in his lungs could be causing balance issues? <shot in the dark, other than possible MBD.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Wow.
You have a job on your hands - been there , done that , as they say.

Had one in bad shape myself to try & save. Mine could not walk at all , just scoot along the ground. She also had an RI , MBD , & cloudy eyes.

Tortoises cannot cough up phlegm, like we can. I used to hold her at an angle, with her head down and swing her back & forth , wiping the snot away as it came out.
I'm not recommending that , I'm not a vet , but what I did to keep her from suffocating.

To get her to use her legs I let her swim & this worked enough that eventually she was able again to walk.

When I first set her down in the water , she floated , but floated lopsided. It was mystifying , I mentioned it on TF , & Simone told me it probably had to do with her lung on one side full off fluid.

Not sure , but as her RI improved , she started floating even. Unfortunately she only lived about a year after I got her. Don't know what took her , but she was very compromised.

I don't think yours is that bad. It takes torts a long time to show damage from poor care - and also a long time to recover from it.

I hope for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
NW Phoenix, Arizona
After just a few days of treatment she is putting on weight(1700g -> 1868g) and getting stronger. This equates to her being more difficult to treat. No worries the wife and I are on top of it. Her breathing and head/limbs-out posture is still present, her odd walk is still evident, she still hasn't shown interest in a variety of foods offered, but the bubbling from her nose is gone already and her breathing is getting better.
Here is a video of her ongoing treatment:

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
That's good News.

Don't know how your vet suggested administering Baytril, but guessing intramuscularly somewhere around the front legs. Baytril is a really painful injection. Administering directly into the mouth is a pain free option. You can administer just as you are tube feeding. (No needle). Pair this with raised temps and warm soaks and she'll be healthy and pain free in no time.

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
NW Phoenix, Arizona
That's good News.

Don't know how your vet suggested administering Baytril... Baytril is a really painful injection. Administering directly into the mouth is a pain free option.

The baytril is given orally. They are just conveniently pre-measured in syringes.