Redfoot very sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot_Chicks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central NY
Hey everyone!
One of my redfoots is suddenly very sick! I'll give you a little background. Her name is Ember. She's about eight inches long and has been in good health for a while now. I rescued her almost a year ago, and at the time she was severely dehydrated and had a URI. With a lot of soaks, nebulizing, and good care she has made a complete recovery (or so I thought?). She's been eating like a pig, or more accurately, a redfoot. She's had some new growth on her shell and has at least doubled in weight. She has shown no symptoms of a problem since recovering from the URI, until yesterday. She was acting lethargic yesterday and she refused food, then she had one formed poop, and shortly after had a mushy less formed one. I soaked her (I normally do this every three days) and she made no effort to get out, which is abnormal. When I put her back she just sat on her basking rock for the rest of the day, then went to her wet hide at night. This morning she was back on her basking rock (which is right next to her water dish) and she vomited. It just looked like chewed food. As I was cleaning it up she vomited again and it looked the same (greens and hibiscus petals). So I soaked her again for about thirty minutes. She pooped once while soaking and it was formed, then when I put her back she pooped two more times, one of them formed and one mushy diarrhea. That's a total of five times in two days. She's been drinking excessively since yesterday, and she's barely moved. The only recent addition to her diet has been portobella mushrooms and i believe that was two days ago. I'm very concerned about her and I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if I should do anything differently in the mean time, or if anyone has any idea what it could be?? She's my favorite, and I hate to see her suffer after all she's been through.:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). All I can help you with is to be sure she is kept a little warmer then normal. Good luck at the vets, keep us posted. Hoping all turns out for the good.

Redfoot_Chicks

5 Year Member
Central NY
Thanks! I'll up her temps a few degrees. She currently has a basking spot of about 86 degrees. I plan to soak her one more time tonight and put some pedialyte in the water to help keep her a little more hydrated.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I have no advice to give, but I am sorry she is sick. I will pray she gets better and keep my fingers crossed the vet can figure it out.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If the only thing you changed was adding mushrooms to her diet. Then stop giving her mushrooms. Have your vet check her for parasites in a fecal sample. But like the last person said keep her warm and dry till you go to the vet.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would never keep a redfoot dry! Warm and humid....soak and hydrate her. Keep her warmer then normal. Taker to the vet and let us know what happens.....

Redfoot_Chicks

5 Year Member
Central NY
Sorry it's taken me this long to get back to everyone, it's been a crazy few days! Thank you all for your input and well wishes! I have great news! Ember woke up yesterday and started begging for food. So I soaked her and she nearly climbed out of the tub (the usual). Then I offered her a little dandelion greens and pumpkin and she devoured it! She's back to her spunky self and I'm sooooo relieved. She has not vomited or pooped since Sunday, and she's got all her energy back. Not pooping is normally not a good thing, but I think she's all emptied out. I'm not sure what caused her scary episode, but I think it could've been the portobellas, considering she's never had them before. Either way, such a relief! :D:heart:

Sent from my LGL75C using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1375848771489.jpg
    1375848771489.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.