Mucus

Court562

Hello all. My leopard tortoise has not been eating and i believe it's from an eye infection. She wasn't opening her eyes and hasn't eaten in a week. I took everyone's advice and soaked her in pedialyte and baby food. I also got eye drops for her and now she's starting to open her eyes and she pooped what looked like mucus. Is this a good sign that her system is starting to work and she's feeling better?

IMG_2078.JPG IMG_2079.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I am happy to say that your tort has excreted urate.

It is completely normal. Urate is how your tort rids itself of excess proteins. If it's gritty rather than mucus it is a sign of dehydration. Mucussy urate is good!

Keep going. You're doing well :)

Court562

I'm giving her two baths a day right now so I don't think she's dehydrated anymore. Thanks that makes me feel better.

Court562

She's not moving anymore. Yesterday she seemed to have been getting better. She opened her eyes, walked around, and even pooped mucus stuff. Today I looked at her and she looks dead. I placed her in pedialight light/ water and she never moved what so ever. Is she dead?!

IMG_2083.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's possible your tortoise is dead sorry. I don't bury a tortoise until they're actually stiff because it can sometimes mimic dead just because they're very weak. If your tortoise is still alive I would take it to vet ASAP. it sounds like you're tortoise may have a respiratory infection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble raising your baby tortoise.

I just wanted to let you know that the original problem wasn't an eye infection. When a baby tortoise isn't provided with what he needs to grow and thrive, his eyes swell shut. It might be he had a respiratory infection, like dmmj suggested, but I'd also look at how you had him set up and read the care sheets to see where you made your mistake.

It's never easy to lose a baby tortoise. That's sad news and I'm so sorry.