Jasmine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks like jasmine to me. NOT safe. I know of at least two tortoises that died from eating it.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Looks like jasmine to me. NOT safe. I know of at least two tortoises that died from eating it.
Thank God you didn’t reply an hour later! Tortoise Table said it was fine to feed in moderation. Thank goodness I posted a picture. Close call.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank God you didn’t reply an hour later! Tortoise Table said it was fine to feed in moderation. Thank goodness I posted a picture. Close call.
Really? I wonder if they and I are referring to different species of "jasmine". Here we have a decorative type that makes the most wonderful smelling flowers a couple of times per year. There is a vining type like yours and a bushy ground cover type.

This person I know of had some gardeners plant new plants in next to his tortoise enclosure and both his Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises each ate most of the new bush. The galop died early on, and they managed to get the Aldabran to survive a little over a week before succumbing. Ugh. What a terrible loss.

And then people argue with me saying that, "Tortoises have survived for millions of years without our help. I think they know what not to eat..." No. No they don't. Maybe if they grew up in their native land in the wild, but not a foreign species in captivity in out back yards, which are full of plants from all over the globe.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Really? I wonder if they and I are referring to different species of "jasmine". Here we have a decorative type that makes the most wonderful smelling flowers a couple of times per year. There is a vining type like yours and a bushy ground cover type.

This person I know of had some gardeners plant new plants in next to his tortoise enclosure and both his Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises each ate most of the new bush. The galop died early on, and they managed to get the Aldabran to survive a little over a week before succumbing. Ugh. What a terrible loss.

And then people argue with me saying that, "Tortoises have survived for millions of years without our help. I think they know what not to eat..." No. No they don't. Maybe if they grew up in their native land in the wild, but not a foreign species in captivity in out back yards, which are full of plants from all over the globe.
Agreed. Shelly tries to eat absolutely everything I put in front of him, including my fingers.