Just a few newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamala

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
Just wondering when the egg tooth should disappear. And does that indicate somewhat of the age of the tortoise?
Also, Do they hear? I have him close to a radio and if he can hear I really don't want to bother him.
Oh and one more....I know flipping on their back is not good, and I am always afraid that I am going to come home and find him upside down and gone. Any suggestion on how to prevent a "flip", his enclosure has some river rocks but very low 1/4"), and slate.
Thanx

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi Carla,
The egg tooth in my two RF hatchlings disappeared after ~ 2 months of age, I think...I really didn't keep track of it.
Tortoises do hear, mostly low tones (though we're not tortoises, so we don't know the absolute extent of their audio reception range), via their tympanum.
As for flipping, as long as there isn't too much for your little one to clamber up onto, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you move things around they may explore and try to climb onto things that result in a flip. From your rock description, I'd say you don't have too much to worry about.

Calamala

5 Year Member
Thank you Chris!
I was also wondering, amongst all my reading, I had read somewhere that Leopard tortoises usually have urates vs. urine. I have not found any sign of urates in his enclosure or in his soaks, which is 99% of when he has a bm. Could he just be urinating regularly in his enclosure because he has a water source?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Carla, I have had Humphrey (leopard) for 4 months and have never seen any urates. He poops usually in his soak, and I have seen him pee clear water too occasionally when he is eating. But never anything white. So don't think there is anything to worry about.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
The egg tooth typicly dissapear after 6 to 8 weeks. Normaly when your not looking lol.

They do hear, the eardrum is just behind the jaw line on a tortoise. They can also feel the slightest vibration or touch with there shell.

And last if worried about tipping offer a vice, i.e. a rock or branch in a certain area of the enclosure so that the little guy/gall may flip itself over in the case that your not there to save it.

hope this helped

Derrik

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
Most reptiles can only really hear low tones and they can detect vibrations. A radio shouldn't be bad.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Ya it is fine if he doesn't urate I would that is a good thing. I have had Bing for 10 months and never seen him urate, but he pees like crazy all the time I don't get where they hold it all in such a small body.

Status
Not open for further replies.