Just a little something I learned about wind, tortoises and their enclosures.

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
So I had to leave for an overnight vacation on the one day the winds came in strong. I have recently built the current enclosure and it was never wind tested. Now I don't want anyone to worry, the obvious lesson of this story never happened and my tortoises are fine. My enclosure did fine actually, better than I thought. Here's the thing, I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford to plant every plant I want in their enclosures at once. I've been slowly building up a variety of plants and placed them in pots IN the enclosure in order to create sight blockers and shade. I'm going to move them around until I have all the plants I want, then I'll plant them in an aesthetically pleasing way.

The wind knocked over the plants... My small banana tree, both dragon fruit cactus, a few prickly pear cactus, both aloe plants and my grape vine. Most of these plants are young.

I can only imagine that when these plants started falling over and one of my Russian Tortoises stood up and yelled out "Alright guys, this is what we've been training for!" I got home to find that my plants looked like they had been eaten by a giant caterpillar with ADHD.

If you're going to use my method of plant placement for your enclosures, tie your plants down.

Hope this helps!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Oh yeah. Potted plants should be secured. Luckly you only have Russians. I had a mountain tortoise knock over a lot containing a banana tree sapling. He ate the whole thing lol. Just left the pot behind

Kyle

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I lost my $30 banana tree to a wind gust....or an impatient tortoise. All I know is I came home to a tipped pot and a root ball. Thanks Vern.

SoCal
I lost my $30 banana tree to a wind gust....or an impatient tortoise. All I know is I came home to a tipped pot and a root ball. Thanks Vern.

Vern sounds like the perfect name for that tortoise based off your two sentence story. Why does that sound like something a Vern would do?

Just as well we're talking Russians rather than a Sulcata. It sounds like they enjoyed your vacation :D

Oh they did, they sure did.

SoCal
Oh yeah. Potted plants should be secured. Luckly you only have Russians. I had a mountain tortoise knock over a lot containing a banana tree sapling. He ate the whole thing lol. Just left the pot behind

Kyle

Actually man, it was the male you sold me that had the most staining around his mouth when I came home. Rocky is real jerk, but I love him anyways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you're going to use my method of plant placement for your enclosures, tie your plants down.

This is a good tip.

I would add that this is also a good reason to NOT use soils with perlite, or other additives, even when you think your tortoise is not going to have access to it.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Actually man, it was the male you sold me that had the most staining around his mouth when I came home. Rocky is real jerk, but I love him anyways.
Haha. Yeah that males a getter. He always was romping around causing problems. Good to hear they are all doing good and damage haha

Kyle

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Vern sounds like the perfect name for that tortoise based off your two sentence story. Why does that sound like something a Vern would do?

I wish I could take credit for the name, but he came pre-named. He WAS Laverne. His previous owner thought he had been disemboweled when he showed her his manhood. Once the vet put her worried mind to rest and had a good laugh he became Vern.