Just a quick question

AlexandrosP

Location (City and/or State)
Limassol
Sooo i have these 2 Greek tortoises who are about 5-6 yrs old.
This year i've made an outdoor enclosure for them but i want to leave them outdoors all year round.
I live in Cyprus and At the moment 23 October 2019 it's 28 Celsius (82 Fahrenheit) daytime And 19 Celsius (66 Fahrenheit) Nighttime.
But in December which is the coldest month here The average Daytime Temperature is 17 Celsius (63 Fahrenheit ) And Nighttime 9 Celsius (48 Fahrenheit).
I know that this specie of Tortoises do brumate and also burrow in their enclosure which the bedding is a mix of soil, there's also a hut filled with dead leaves. And i also cover the top of the enclosure on rainy days.
Is it possible for me to keep them outside at those winter months? And if yes are there any precautions that you suggest me doing before they brumate outdoors?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and please hang on - someone else that knows more than I do (I live in the tropics!) will be along to help.

AlexandrosP

Limassol
Btw This is their Enclosure but i will change the top of their hut with a cold frame.

Attachments

• 67775905_431580587438056_2635596600902156288_n.jpg
    67775905_431580587438056_2635596600902156288_n.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not a quick question. Its a question with lots of variables and everyone you ask will have a different opinion.

They should never be left outside to hibernate. Left to the cruel whims of Mother Nature, many tortoises die. Even in their native areas, a captive enclosure doesn't allow them to do what wild ones would do to survive the winter. One way or another, they need our help.

You've got to decide if you want to hibernate them properly, at the correct temps, indoors in controlled conditions, or, do you want to make a warmer enclosure and keep them lit and heated all winter.

And if they are living together, they need to be separated ASAP, BEFORE they have a major issue and one of them gets sick and dies. Tortoises should never live as pairs.

AlexandrosP

Limassol
They are the same species and from the same region. Why shouldn't i let em live as a pair? Do you mean that they should never Hibernate outdoors as a pair?