Just added UVB

taquito23

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
We just added a 24” T5 HO 10.0 at about 25” the this area. The hep with humidity, I also stapled a shower curtain to the back, sides, and top. Input the UVB more to one side so she didn’t get to much and had a partial shade.

Yea, there is water.

Looking for some critiques….

Leaf litter, more sticks, and hides are on the way. I figured the UVB was more important due to her being inside a house. The hanging light is a MVB build that is like a year and a half old. The reptiles store said the UVB should be gone and we can use it just for heat.

And just for kicks, there is a pic of Taquito this morning looking for food.

Ready. Set. Opinions!

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't keep box turtle's. But I've got a lot of experience with MVB bulbs. They usually dry out an enclosure and have a very bright area of light directly under the bulb.
Usually I'd recommend a CHE and/or a simple incandescent flood bulb.

taquito23

Dallas
I don't keep box turtle's. But I've got a lot of experience with MVB bulbs. They usually dry out an enclosure and have a very bright area of light directly under the bulb.
Usually I'd recommend a CHE and/or a simple incandescent flood bulb.
Noted. I was thinking about a CHE or a RHP. I’ve got one for my BP and it’s been a game changer.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
25" inches above substrate is probably too high - the UVB level will be too weak. The fixture looks like Arcadia ProT5 kit, however they don't use labelings 5.0, 10.0 and such. What lamp and fixture is it?

At this height UVI (UV index) is approximately 2 or less and you should aim for UVI 4. It's 18-19" between the lamp and substrate.

Also, the heat lamp dome shadows the light from UVB tube, so there is even less UVB in the basking area.

Switching MVB for an incandescent bulb also makes sense because incandescents emit light in other spectrum band than flourescents - this will make lightning more natural.

UPD: I've found the turtle on the photo! Very cute!

taquito23

Dallas
Hello!
25" inches above substrate is probably too high - the UVB level will be too weak. The fixture looks like Arcadia ProT5 kit, however they don't use labelings 5.0, 10.0 and such. What lamp and fixture is it?

At this height UVI (UV index) is approximately 2 or less and you should aim for UVI 4. It's 18-19" between the lamp and substrate.

Also, the heat lamp dome shadows the light from UVB tube, so there is even less UVB in the basking area.

Switching MVB for an incandescent bulb also makes sense because incandescents emit light in other spectrum band than flourescents - this will make lightning more natural.
Thanks! We’ll get it lowered! We just kinda went off the back of the bulb box.

The bulb is reptisun and the housing is a T5 led grow light assm from BioDude. Was cheaper to buy it this way and it left me with more ways to hang it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks! We’ll get it lowered! We just kinda went off the back of the bulb box.

The bulb is reptisun and the housing is a T5 led grow light assm from BioDude. Was cheaper to buy it this way and it left me with more ways to hang it.
Okay, got it! Reptisun have a bit weaker output than Arcadia lamps, so it definitely needs lowering. Hopefully, BioDude fixtures have good reflector quality. Yet, it's a nice combo - will make a note on it.

taquito23

Dallas
Okay, got it! Reptisun have a bit weaker output than Arcadia lamps, so it definitely needs lowering. Hopefully, BioDude fixtures have good reflector quality. Yet, it's a nice combo - will make a note on it.
The reflector size/shape is actually fairy similar to the Reptisun hood.

I know that b/c I have returned it yet 😂😂😂