Just got baby sulcata tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kali.kole

5 Year Member
I'm a new owner. We got him/her last night. I've done research but there's so much conflicting information. Maybe you all can help?

What's the best bedding?
What size tank does a hatchling/baby need?
Best diet?
What temperature should it be in the tank during the day?
Is a day light (75watt) and a Red night bulb enough?
I currently have him/her in a 20x12x12 which he/she looks soo tiny in since she's only about 2". But I do have a 24X24x18 if that's a better tank?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi kali.kole:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We have lots of good info for new sulcata keepers in the sulcata section. Take some time and read the important threads at the top of the sulcata section. I'm sure your questions will be answered there.

May we know your name and appx. where in the world you are?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. If you click the links in my signature, there are all sorts of threads that will answer your questions, and maybe bring up some new ones too. For your immediate questions:
1. Orchid bark, coco coir, plain additive free soil (if you can even find that), cypress mulch, sphagnum moss. NOT sand or any kind of dry pellets.
2. The bigger the better. I start babies in a minimum of 36x18" or 24x24'. If things go as they should, they outgrow these in a few months.
3. Best diet is a variety including: safe weeds like dandelion, mallow, sow thistle, etc..., grasses, spineless opuntia cactus pads, grape leaves, squash leaves, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, Mazuri tortoise chow a couple of times a week, ZooMed grassland pellets soaked and mixed with greens. I tend to avoid grocery store foods, but if need be endive and escarole are good. Use a wide variety. I like spring mix from Costco and Santa Barbara mix from Smart and Final. The list is endless...
4. I like to use a ceramic heating element on a thermostat to maintain an ambient of 80 24/7. Then I put an incandescent flood bulb over one end on a timer for 12 hours a day, and adjust the height of the bulb to get my basking temp around 100.
5. You should have a remote probed thermometer (around $10 at Walmart or Target or a hardware store) and a temp gun. With these two tools you can monitor and adjust your temps. Only then will you know if your bulb wattages are enough or too much.
6. See number two. Your 10 gallon is way too small. Once you add in a terra cotta plant saucer for water and another for food, a piece of slate under the basking light, a humid hide box, and a potted plant or other decorations, there will be no room for the little guy to walk around. They need lots of room to walk around. It is also near impossible to maintain any kind of thermal gradient in such a small enclosure. Go BIG! you can get a plastic storage tub for around $15 bucks at any of the big hardware stores.

A couple of other helpful tips:
Soak babies every day. Warm shallow water in a tall sided opaque tub. 20 minutes or so.
Keep all dogs away from them at all times.
Start planning and building a safe secure outdoor enclosure for them right away. Babies need lot of exercise, grazing and sunshine. Of course shade too... There are a couple of threads with ideas for this in my signature below.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Tom's threads are at the bottom of my post too. Great info. Be sure to check them out.

kali.kole

5 Year Member
I'm Nicole :) I'm in San Diego,California. Thanks for the info I will definetly check it out!

image-2593977480.png

Status
Not open for further replies.