Just got my new Indian Star baby

tempest979

Location (City and/or State)
NY
20240827_101344.jpg

She's about 5 weeks old and she's so TINY! She's very shy at the moment, hope she warms up to me a little over time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So cute. Be sure to raise her in an enclosure that is a closed chamber with high humidity and no mercury or halogen bulbs.
@Tom can give you more details.

tempest979

NY
So cute. Be sure to raise her in an enclosure that is a closed chamber with high humidity and no mercury or halogen bulbs.
Yep. I got a large plastic translucent bin 29X20 I converted and cut holes in to hang lights. I'll keep her here until she gets a little older. Current temp is 83 on cool side 87 on warmer side and humidity is at 85%. She walked around for a bit and decided to hide under a plastic plant in the corner. Poor thing must be overwhelmed a little.

tempest979

NY
Basking needs to be 95-100 for most species and I believe yours.
It's about 97 or so on the spot. I put the basking lamp closer to one side so that it heats up that one side more too, so I could have a cooler side and warmer side. Basking on the spot is about 97F, on that side ambient is 87-88, cooler side is 83. The ceramic heat emitter will kick on if it drops under 82F. She hid under the plastic plant looking around for a bit, but I think she finally feels secure and that no predators are around to eat her and is moving around again.
Never had one this young and small, feel a bit intimidated. I've been watching her from the overhead baby cam this entire time. I left her some Bokchoy and Watercress on the slate, hopefully she feels secure enough to go eat it.

Last edited:

tempest979

NY
Is there a way to tell if a hatchling this young is an Indian or Sri Lankan? I've seen some pics of Sri Lankans and she's looking kinda like one more than an Indian.