Heat pad for sulcata tortoise 1 month old

Brittanyp1113

Location (City and/or State)
Midlothian Texas
I have a wooden enclosure with heavy duty plastic tray at the bottom my question is can I place a small heating pad under the tray? I had one in my glass tank & he loved it especially when he slept. I just don't know if it will melt the tray

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heat pads shouldn't even be used for hatchlings so no. He loved it as you say cause he was probably trying to get the top half warm. Heat pads should only be used for adults and that's with another heat source over it so tortoises heat from top and bottom at the same time. Otherwise they will stay in the pad too long trying to get the rest of them warm and that's very dangerous and can be deadly.

Reactions: Tom

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
If you have a wooden enclosure like this: https://www.amazon.com/Aivituvin-To...-Enclosure/dp/B07VRY6X58?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

that's no good for tortoises (despite the name). You need an enclosed chamber which means one that is not open at the top
That's the exact one I have. Well crap I had my husband seal everything except the top where the metal wire top is I havw foil hvac tape over it with the lights on. It's holding heat & humidity great now that we've sealed it. I won't use heat pad. Thanks

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello there! You might also find this one helpful to skim through to avoid being sold anything inappropriate moving forward🙂

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some babies don't realize they can move away if it gets too hot. That's the spot where they're used to sleeping and they just sit there and cook.

Reactions: Tom