Just Hatched or 3.5 months old?? Help!!

Holly'sMom

I wouldn't panic yet. I thought the same when I'd first gotten Belle.. 3 months later I still panic over everything.. BUT the day I got her she ate like a champ was active then the following day was like a rock in a tank except when I took her outside. Is it still warm in ur area? I take a box and grab grass weeds anything I can pull out and put it In The box a whole bunch like a yards worth l lol then would (still do) sit outside w her and instantly she was active and alert even when it's been low 70's I've taken her out for a few mins (I admit letting her walk in the grass but watch for birds and animals and don't look away for a second Belle has tipped in big dents in the yard lol). But my point was I panicked went and bought probably close to 600$in lamps lights plants fogger/mister thermostats infrared thermometer different hides and then new tanks different substrates I made 20 trips to Petco, lowes and tractor supply in less than two weeks after she was home thinking I just needed something else and I had UVB/heat/basking all the normal needs BEFORE we brought her home and honestly 50% of what i bought I can't use or don't use now.. Belle became more active the longer we've had her I think after the initial look around she became shy w a new environment w/o a bunch of other babies running Around next to her. The guy who sold me Belle knew I was looking for a leopard tort but my daughter decided she had to have the Sulcata after she'd seen her. He didn't tell me she'd grow faster or that Sudanese/Sudan Sulcata's were bigger than just a Sulcata and I was under the impression she'd be he same size as a leopard and grow at the same rate. He knew I hadn't had any torts since I was a kid and back then we didn't even use lights lol but He held her for almost a month since we were going out of town so thankfully I know she had to be a bit older already. I think in a week or two you'll see some change. Try taking her outside and see if there's any change. I felt exactly how you do 3 months ago and now I'm confident ours is ok (at least confident enough to stop trying to wake her up constantly and checking temps every hour)

Kara B

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Try soaking her in pedialite , or even carrot baby food soaks , in the hope that she can absorb some nutrition that way !
I will be doing this today for sure. She seems to be much more active today. I hope she takes a turn for the better..

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would move the UVB light up to 12 inches above your tortoise. The reading I got was five, which is too high. Keep the temperatures up give her some good food with some calcium and soak daily. Hang in there.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You know, I know this will be a somewhat unwelcome post in this thread but I gotta ask.

What show where?

How many booths at this show had little sulcatas? Just this one, or several?

Which booth had the best price?

Why did you buy from that particular vendor?

I'm glad that there is so much opportunity here to learn for you.

My questions are so that others and myself can learn about the choice making process by someone at a show, you.

Kara B

Michigan
You know, I know this will be a somewhat unwelcome post in this thread but I gotta ask.

What show where?

How many booths at this show had little sulcatas? Just this one, or several?

Which booth had the best price?

Why did you buy from that particular vendor?

I'm glad that there is so much opportunity here to learn for you.

My questions are so that others and myself can learn about the choice making process by someone at a show, you.
It was a show in Michigan. About three vendors had sulcatas. They ranged in price from $75 to $125 depending on the vendor. We chose the vendor who his tortoises for $75 but he only had two babies and one larger one. The other vendors had their babies in a small tank all piled on top of each other. None of the vendors were informative or even seemed concerned that one of their babies could be going into a home not prepared for it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It was a show in Michigan. About three vendors had sulcatas. They ranged in price from $75 to $125 depending on the vendor. We chose the vendor who his tortoises for $75 but he only had two babies and one larger one. The other vendors had their babies in a small tank all piled on top of each other. None of the vendors were informative or even seemed concerned that one of their babies could be going into a home not prepared for it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I sold sulcata babies at the PA "hamm" show many years ago. I had many mixed perceptions about the future care of the tortoises I sold, there was no TFO then for people to turn to. Buyers never did call me for help. At that time I worked at a zoo, and the calls to there for care help were overwhelming at times.

At shows I go to now in SoCal, it seems with a few exceptions sulcata are sold by people who are mostly snake breeders, and the sulcata are on the table for a friend. Displayed on rabbit pellets and with a few bits of some lettuce in the enclosure.

Thanks again. good to know your interest brought you here to TFO.

Kara B

Michigan
20161002_180026.jpg 20161002_180014.jpg My awesome husband made my torti a new top to help keep in her humidity and heat. I love it!! She is doing so much better now.. Eating, being active, pooping...and most importantly, slowly gaining weight!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Looks good. You may want to add some light though, just regular role lightbulbs to get it brighter in there. They don't have to be under the cover even just showing so they can make it brighter

Kara B

Michigan
Looks good. You may want to add some light though, just regular role lightbulbs to get it brighter in there. They don't have to be under the cover even just showing so they can make it brighter
I do plan on adding more lights soon :)