Just wanted to be sure what kind of tortoise I have

Rebecca rojas

Location (City and/or State)
San diego
I believe I found a russian tortoise but wanted to verify on here. My grandfather was telling me it was a desert tortoise. So I want to be sure I am giving it the correct food and provide the best care. Rainbow (my son named the tortoise) was found in my grandmother's yard shell completely painted , I have done my best to remove all the paint but some can still be seen on the shell. Please help me out. Thank you

20180814_201755.jpg 20180814_201823.jpg 20180814_201800.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're not supposed to talk about doing anything illegal on the forum, so I won't tell you that if it were me, I wouldn't bother to try to find his owner. Anyone who paints a tortoise's shell doesn't deserve him,

Rebecca rojas

San diego
I have had it for about a year. I never heard anything from any of the neighbors about a missing tortoise. But I was not happy about the shell it was very bad.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
We're not supposed to talk about doing anything illegal on the forum, so I won't tell you that if it were me, I wouldn't bother to try to find his owner. Anyone who paints a tortoise's shell doesn't deserve him,
Well said Yvonne thank you

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A male Russian.

What interesting coloring, he’s so dark! I wonder if that identifies as coming from someplace we don’t normally see selling wild caught tortoises?