Just Whining

klawran1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Acworth, GA
So for those who have followed my posts, I have built a heated box for my Leopard so she can be outside longer. Well.... She will come out, but she won't go back in!!! Doesn't matter how I try to train her or entice her, she refuses to go in without me putting her in. Because of this, I've brought her inside for the remainder of winter. I see people post about their Sulcatas going in and getting warm and I have to tell you how envious I am! She will come out, graze a little, and then bunker down in the leaves when she get too cool. You have a heated box RIGHT THERE!!!! You literally just paraded out of it! I even made sure the ramp was nearly level on the ground in case she didn't like the incline, but NO. Please tell me it's a Leopard thing and not a Cleo thing.... My Russian puts himself up with zero issue. But not Cleo...... I love her but I'm ready to give her a long lecture and put her in time out. I guess having to move back into her 4x8 table for winter will be her punishment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My leopards were hard to train too, and even now, after having the shed for two or three years to retreat into, there's still one or two that I have to hunt for at the end of the day, and put them away. Just keep putting her into the night box every evening and block the door. Hopefully she'll eventually get the idea.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
When I put her in at night I lock the box, then I re-open in the morning before I leave for work. Since I'm gone 9 hours and the temps are in the 30s, I don't want her outside knowing full well that she won't go warm up when she gets too cold. Don't need her sick.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My leopards do the exact same thing. My Sulcata goes into the box without fail. My Russians are hit and miss. There is always at least one leopard out at the end of the day. I bring them in for winter as soon as it is too cold for the dummies to be out all day.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Leopards are a bit funny with this type of thing. My observations have been that they will completely stop moving when it begins to get dark no matter what they are doing. It's quite comical when I go into my backyard at night and there are leopard tortoises spread out all over the middle of my yard in the summer, like they just flipped the off switch as soon as the sun went down. During the cooler months, they go out and find a warm place and when it starts to cool down, the darkness settles in quicker so they don't want to move back to their home.

Kind of an odd observation to put into words, but you'll probably be dealing with this for as long as you have your tortoise. There are some things that may help. During the winter I have removed all other shaded/hiding areas, and block off all their favorite corners they like to settle into. This gives them a bit more incentive to retreat back to their home after some afternoon grazing if they can't find a comfortable place to rest out in the open. Doesn't always work, but has been noticeably better for me. Dragging a couple of 40lb tortoises all over the yard gets a bit old after awhile.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I have a thicket of bamboo in the back yard that she retreats to before it gets dark. Without fail, if I put her in the box and there is still sun, she will come out of the box and go to the thicket.... I just lock her in and let her be mad. It's frustrating. I'm destined to carry her butt across the yard for the rest of her life. Haha. I don't care if she sleeps outside of the box during the summers, but during cold weather, she's gotta suck it up. If I put her on her ramp she will walk in on her own, but she isn't going to get that far without force.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there a special spot she goes to? I'm thinking of when you're at work, maybe you can place a CHE over that spot, then put her away when you get home. (extension cords are my friend)

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
There is one she goes to when it gets dark, but during the day she has about 5 different retreats she goes to. I assumed she'd be where the sun is, but no... She stays in the shade. She's inside until it's an appropriate temp. Just annoyed with her.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy (not a leopard, but there you go) seems to seek out the coldest, most uncomfortable, most inhospitable spots possible when outside and then look miserable and stare at me as if to say, "help!", even though she could quite easily find a nicer spot.
Some torts are just thick.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So for those who have followed my posts, I have built a heated box for my Leopard so she can be outside longer. Well.... She will come out, but she won't go back in!!! Doesn't matter how I try to train her or entice her, she refuses to go in without me putting her in. Because of this, I've brought her inside for the remainder of winter. I see people post about their Sulcatas going in and getting warm and I have to tell you how envious I am! She will come out, graze a little, and then bunker down in the leaves when she get too cool. You have a heated box RIGHT THERE!!!! You literally just paraded out of it! I even made sure the ramp was nearly level on the ground in case she didn't like the incline, but NO. Please tell me it's a Leopard thing and not a Cleo thing.... My Russian puts himself up with zero issue. But not Cleo...... I love her but I'm ready to give her a long lecture and put her in time out. I guess having to move back into her 4x8 table for winter will be her punishment.
I feel for ya. My one male leopard does the same thing. However, because I lock them up every night, it wasn't such a big deal, I just had to go get him. It is mind boggling though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seeing I have one that does this already, so I am used to it, I think you should send me her and the two could have a cold spot partner:D

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Seeing I have one that does this already, so I am used to it, I think you should send me her and the two could have a cold spot partner:D

Ha! Everyone keeps trying to steal my little lovely. She's a total pain, but she's my pain. Visitors are welcome, but I will be checking coats before anyone leaves. :p

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
How about you just bring me your guy and they can be cold spot partners at my house? :D

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When you think about it it makes sense. Leo's are not burrowers (though they may use one sometimes) like sulcatas. Leos are roamers that push up onto a shrub or fallen log or something. Sulcatas' life depends on their burrow, they spent much energy building it for a reason.

Just different instincts playing out. These behaviors are what works for these species in the wild, and they don't know they are not there.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
When you think about it it makes sense. Leo's are not burrowers (though they may use one sometimes) like sulcatas. Leos are roamers that push up onto a shrub or fallen log or something. Sulcatas' life depends on their burrow, they spent much energy building it for a reason.

Just different instincts playing out. These behaviors are what works for these species in the wild, and they don't know they are not there.

Makes sense. Doesn't mean I'm happy about carrying her heavy butt daily, but I'll do it because I love her. <3