Juvenile redfoot pyramiding

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
The pics are not the exact ones I use, those types. The uvb is in a desk lamp mounted well above the enclosure and the lighting \heating bull is in a dome fixture above one side of the enclosure
Your going to have to try and load some photos of the enclosure. I thought you were using an mvb, which is a spot bulb and uvb in one. Still, you have a spot bulb that is probably drying out your tort and the surrounding air under the bulb. Need to see your set up.
The room you said was 77f. Is it constantly 77f or is it weather permitted to what temp it's at. What is the humidity in that room?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Krissy

It is great to see a dedicated tortoise keeper like you obviously are. I am so glad you are trying to straighten out your husbandry for your little guy. You are really going to have to post some pictures of your tortoise and enclosure. There are some things we can help you with that are just not as clear if we go by limited descriptions from your perspective vs. what we are really asking.

From what I am reading from you so far, just a few observations that bring up possible issues:

It seems you have a basking bulb and a compact fluorescent UVB bulb. But both are mounted way too high to do any good whatsoever. A compact fluorescent is a bad choice for UVB for a tortoise, and even then it would need to be about 8" above the tortoise to give any usable UVB. BUT... redfoot tortoises get much of their Vitamin D3 from diet and supplement with passive reflected UVB from "shade basking". So are you providing any animal protein that would contain D3 in what you feed? You ask about calcium. A tortoise will not overdose on calcium but can overdose on D3 if given as a supplement. So does the calcium you are or were sprinkling on the food contain added D3 as a supplement? if so, that would be you only concern about overdose. Your enclosure is open over the basking end. I am sure humidity is an issue for you. Even though you are in south TX, air conditioning is one of the best ways to de-humidify air! That is why your car's defroster uses your car's air conditioner to work!. So an indoor enclosure has very different issues than one outside in your part of the country. You do say you mist 3 - 4 x per day. But what are you using for substrate? Is that holding moisture, and damp throughout?

Again, I am impressed with your dedication to providing the best for your tortoise and reaching out for advice.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Pyramiding is, in most cases, a purely cosmetic issue so don't get too nervous. It appears to be caused by rapid growth under dry conditions. Redfoots do well with high humidity - so 80% RH all over would be better for this species than just a humid hide. Daily soakings are also recommended for young tortoises. For a full grown adult, twice a week is fine, but for yours, soak daily.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
ok, here are pics of the torts. They are kept in the same enclosure. it is Janis, the little one, I'm concerned about. enclosure pics coming soon. Thanks to everyone for their feedback, I really appreciate it.

Mark, their substrate is cypress mulch and spagnum moss

15592349_10157887880085103_1730152153_n.jpg 15577572_10157887879995103_508581031_n.jpg

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Enclosure: 48" x 17" , one heat lamp, one uvb light, cypress mulch and spagnum moss substrate, pool, 77-90° F temp gradient, 70-80% humidity on covered side, basking side humidity variable but has a humidifier that runs all day. Baths 2x per week. The humid side where the log is has a cover, I just took it off to take the photo

Daily diet: spring mix, collard greens, turnip greens

Supplemental diet: spineless cactus pads, fruit variety 2x per week, worms 2x per month

Hopefully this helps give y'all a better idea what I'm working with - sorry about the low quality of the photos!

As I said, they are healthy. Good appetite, active, healthy poops. They get to go outside a couple times a week - right now it is 85° F!!!! I just want to be sure I am providing the best home possible for them, and if there is an issue I would rather fix it now than later. Thank you to everyone for your feedback

Attachments

• IMG_20161217_120011.jpg
    IMG_20161217_120011.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20161217_115912.jpg
    IMG_20161217_115912.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 15