Question on Supplements

Nsav

Location (City and/or State)
Robbinsville NJ
Hi All,

Happy Friday. A few questions on supplements. I have an almost 6 month leopard tortoise. Have been using Reptivite with D3 a few times each week on his greens. Is this the right supplement? I’ve read about RepCal and others.

Also, what is the correct dosage — 1x per week, 2x etc?

Finally, what do you call a tortoise carrying a hammer? Thortoise.

Take care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

Happy Friday. A few questions on supplements. I have an almost 6 month leopard tortoise. Have been using Reptivite with D3 a few times each week on his greens. Is this the right supplement? I’ve read about RepCal and others.

Also, what is the correct dosage — 1x per week, 2x etc?

Finally, what do you call a tortoise carrying a hammer? Thortoise.

Take care.
Reptivite is a vitamin supplment. Repcal is a calcium supplement.

Both are good for a young growing tortoise. How much and how often? Well that varies tremendously with many factors like diet, climate you are in, size of the baby, and even the sex of the tortoise. Adult males need very little supplementation when fed well, and adult females can benefit from added calcium supplementation when they are laying eggs.

There is a large margin of error. Most supplementation regimes work for most people most of the time. If you did gobs of it all every day, that would be too much. If you feed grocery store lettuce and use zero supplementation, that would be too little. So how much and how often? My general recommendation is a tiny pinch once a week for vitamins and twice a week for calcium. Add a little more if your diet is grocery store green heavy. Use a little less if your diet is full of good weeds and leaves most of the year.

For your last question, I call them Koopa Troopas, Hammer Bros:
4OMcB.gif

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
Thanks for your advice, Tom. I’ve ordered the RepCal and will follow your dosage recommendations.

Hilarious retort!