Keeping the garage proper temp for brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancykj

5 Year Member
I just read Yvonne's post about keeping tort brumation temp above freezing or their eyeballs will freeze. Yikes! Don't want that! so.... i plan on brumating my 2 boys in their wooden hibernation boxes in the garage. as i have done for 16 years. this year however, i am in woodland hills, where it gets much colder than our previous home, venice beach.
my guys did spend part of last winter here, i moved to this home late december 2012, they were already brumating, so i just put them still slumbering in the garage here and their eyeballs did not freeze. :)
but, want to be safe rather than sorry. so:
how do i keep my garage between 40 and 50 degrees? hopefully not too dumb a question, i am a new homeowner and never had to warm up a garage before. thanks for any help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't think you really have to worry about it freezing in the garage. Just place the tortoise box on a wall shared between the house and the garage (hopefully it's an attached garage, right?), and he should be ok.

nancykj

5 Year Member
thank yvonne! i was actually going to set up tables under the garage window (outside wall), but now i will set them up next to the attached wall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't worry about it being too cold. I'd worry about it being too warm. I'm near you in Santa Clarita and while it does drop below freezing some nights, it probably won't inside your garage in a wooden box. Put a remote temperature probe in the box with the tortoise. Lowes has wireless digital ones that record highs, lows and humidity for about $20.

Your biggest problem will likely be the temps getting too warm during our 80 degree winter warm spells. Yvonne uses an old non-functioning chest freezer, and I used to use an old refrigerator on its back. These both "average out" the daily highs and lows and keep things more stable. We both used a pen or pencil to keep the door from being completely sealed and allow just a little air in there.

nancykj

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I wouldn't worry about it being too cold. I'd worry about it being too warm. I'm near you in Santa Clarita and while it does drop below freezing some nights, it probably won't inside your garage in a wooden box. Put a remote temperature probe in the box with the tortoise. Lowes has wireless digital ones that record highs, lows and humidity for about $20.

Your biggest problem will likely be the temps getting too warm during our 80 degree winter warm spells. Yvonne uses an old non-functioning chest freezer, and I used to use an old refrigerator on its back. These both "average out" the daily highs and lows and keep things more stable. We both used a pen or pencil to keep the door from being completely sealed and allow just a little air in there.

Thank you Tom. i will get temp probes for both of their boxes. it is funny how this year i am so worried about them, but never gave much thought to it before, other than making sure they were in good boxes with alfalfa hay. and checking them every week or so to make sure neither woke up and pee'd

Status
Not open for further replies.