Keeping the right temp and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I am living in an apartment where is dry so easily.
which making me hard to control the humidity.

in order to prevent my tortoise have pyramiding, or disease because of not enough humidity. Can I buy this Med HygroTherm temp and hum control ? will it work well for my 40 gal tank which by the way, I am going to let my baby hermann tortoise lives in.

or any other product can work as well that cost less.? thank you all

FBody355

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carver, MA
I have a heating pad under my tortoise's hut which makes it very very humid in there & cozy. I also drape a towel over half the cage and that keeps the humidity in and high. What are you using for substrate? Coconut Coir works really well for holding humidity.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What are the current day/night/basking temperatures and humidity?

Ambient humidity is only one of three important aspects of proper hydration that also include substrate moisture and tortoise hydration (drinking water). With most Testudo species you can actually have a lower ambient humidity (to a limit) as long as there is adequate substrate moisture and the tortoise is kept well hydrated by means of drinking.

HtVic

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
What are the current day/night/basking temperatures and humidity?

Ambient humidity is only one of three important aspects of proper hydration that also include substrate moisture and tortoise hydration (drinking water). With most Testudo species you can actually have a lower ambient humidity (to a limit) as long as there is adequate substrate moisture and the tortoise is kept well hydrated by means of drinking.

should I mist them daily?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Misting helps to maintain substrate moisture, ambient air humidity and basically "activates" tortoises if done in the morning around the time the lights come on. But whether or not you should do it daily depends very much on what the current humidity level is and how moist the substrate already is as well as what the temperatures are.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I found this Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller, I could get those humidifier plug with the controller. but I am not sure that is necessary or not to have to help me to control the temp and hum.

I 've seen some people stick the Thermometre and Hygrometre beside the cool side and warm side of the aquarium, so how many of those do
I need?

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I was looking at buying the same thing, I am wondering if anyone has used it and how well they like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.