Silly Temp and humidity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Hey guys! This may be a dumb question but I have to ask. I have read and searched but no direct answer. My sulcata tortoise stays in a 40 gal closed top tank. I know the temp should stay between 75-80 degrees and the humidity 80% min. And a hot spot of about 110 degrees. For the most part mine stays within range except for my hide box which keeps 90% humidity and a temp of 88 degrees. Duh! My question is, when I open the top for feeding, soaking or what ever? The temp and humidity falls greatly and it takes a while to pick back up. Everything I have read states (constant). How is that possible? See! I told you it was a dumb question. lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not a dumb question at all. The short amount of time that it dips shouldn't be a problem. If you want, try to make the lid into two parts. One you can open, one that stays put.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
From the little experience I have, you don't need constant super-high humidity.

I keep my enclosure half open during the day with a humidifier (with my setup I can't keep it fully covered due to the lights), and the average humidity is around 75%. I keep it fully closed at night with a heat mat, and it's over 90%.

I'm sure when the tort is in the basking area the humidity is even lower. But this recipe has produced nothing but smooth growth. In the wild they're not going to be subjected to crazy humidity 100% of the time. As they feed on grasses and weeds outside of hides and burrows the humidity will undoubtedly be much lower.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't worry about that at all. No big deal as long as the air in there is good for most of the day and night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do need a much bigger enclosure though... I think I saw in another thread you were working on that, so I'll stay off your back... for now... :p

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Oh trust me Tom, Darwin will have a much larger enclosure in the near future. Not planing to build an out door enclosure just yet due to renting my current home but will be buying one in the next year or two. But I will give up an entire bedroom to him if need be. I can sleep on the sofa! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.