Silly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
So I have a Sully (Darwin). He is about 7'' now. For the longest time, he wouldn't let me touch his head. As time has gone by, he now lets be rub the top of his head and under his chin. My question is Does he like it? and is it good for me to keep doing it so once he is grown I can pet his head and neck without him removing my fingers? Told ya it was a silly question!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's silly at all. I would think if he lets you, then he likes it. I would also keep doing it. Just be careful to always watch, so he doesn't decide your fingers would make a good snack:D

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I agree with Barb. If he doesn't like it, he'd tuck his head in or walk away. Some torts really like their heads and necks rubbed.

Definately not a silly question. :)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I think ti is a good way to desensitize him to your presence, also can come in handy later on if there's something on his face you need to inspect/remove. If they're ok with you touching their faces, it'll be easier to apply medications etc for the future :)

Also, they may just like it. I've been working on my girl to get her to be less head sensitive, same with our snakes. The more relaxed they are, the easier it is to make sure they are healthy.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Everytime i give my tort a warm bath i rub his head, he sticks his head out even hogher and farther so i can get the far back of his head!

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I always rub my meter when I have free time , and it seems that meter likes it very much because meter will stuggle to get off if I don't rub his head

Homerist

10 Year Member!
My star seemed to enjoy the chin rub. And she will close her eyes when I stroke the top of her head.
I also agree that it is good to let your tort familiarize with your scent so to have less problem about stressing your tort when one day you need to apply any med or beak trimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.