Keeping Tortoise Inside

Bumble_Bee

5 Year Member
Hello, I am researching tortoises and interested in possibly getting one. I am interested Eastern Hermann's and Russians currently. I'd like something that will stay relatively small. One of the things holding me back is that I live in an apartment and I wouldn't be able to set up an enclosure outside. This would likely be the situation for the next 4-5 years if not longer. I am interested in getting a young tortoise and I know humidity is very important so being indoors is good. What I wonder is how long until they should be outside? I have an empty second bedroom I could devote to the tortoise but I worry that after a certain point lamps aren't enough to keep the little tort thriving and the sun would be better during the warm summer months.

As much as I'd like a tortoise, is it unfair to keep the tortoise inside year round? Am I better off just waiting until I have outdoor and indoor space to keep a tortoise?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! ;)

I for one have had a Greek tort :<3: and I live in an apartment. I have made Oli's enclosure as large as I possibly could, he has his lights for warmth, I spray his enclosure with water as I live in a very dry country: Jordan. And whenever the weather permits I take Oli out for "a walk" in the sun leaving him to roam around happily. I'm afraid there is no other choice if one lives in a flat.

Good luck with the tort you pick and please keep us updated.:D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I live in the north, next to Santa Claus. Basically, we have a very short season for them to be outdoors. I have and have had tortoises here. I have no problem with them being kept indoors as long as you meet their needs. I think you can certainly do that with either of those two species.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome! You are very wise to research first as there is more to keeping torts than you would think - I had a very steep learning curve when I took in my poor stray.
My leopard tort who doesn't hibernate has to live indoors for most of the year. He is quite big and has an adapted room to himself, with MVB lamps and ceramic heat emitters etc. I do try to get him out as much as possible in the so called warmer months, but here in the UK even the summers are often too wet or too cold. It is doable but I feel sorry that he can't go out more - although short of sending him to a warmer climate, I can't do much more than keep him warm and make his life as safe as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like Brian's answer, but it needs to go just a tad further. Make sure you know what a tortoise needs in order to grow and thrive. It is a bit more expensive to provide this for an indoor tortoise, but it is doable.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I like Brian's answer, but it needs to go just a tad further. Make sure you know what a tortoise needs in order to grow and thrive. It is a bit more expensive to provide this for an indoor tortoise, but it is doable.

This is true. I have a new sulcata. I have a $22,000 1600 square foot building I am willing to dedicate to her with heat.

Bumble_Bee

5 Year Member
Hello, thank you everyone for your replies and knowledge!

I love your idea @Gillian Moore of taking them out for little walks! @BrianWI I am in a colder climate too so even if the tortoise could go outside it would be limited. That does make me feel a bit better knowing that even if the guy (or girl) could be outside they'd still spend a lot of time indoors. @Lyn W Sounds like your guy has a great setup!

It makes me feel a lot better to be able to hear from others who are able to keep their tortoises indoors! I think my focus will be to set up great indoor habitat to the best of my abilities. I still have a lot of research ahead of me but I'm excited to learn.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello, thank you everyone for your replies and knowledge!

I love your idea @Gillian Moore of taking them out for little walks! @BrianWI I am in a colder climate too so even if the tortoise could go outside it would be limited. That does make me feel a bit better knowing that even if the guy (or girl) could be outside they'd still spend a lot of time indoors. @Lyn W Sounds like your guy has a great setup!

It makes me feel a lot better to be able to hear from others who are able to keep their tortoises indoors! I think my focus will be to set up great indoor habitat to the best of my abilities. I still have a lot of research ahead of me but I'm excited to learn.
Good luck!

Although I chose to to buy a pet, I just do NOT think it is fair to have the poor thing "imprisoned" in an enclosure 24 hours a day NO MATTER how large the enclosure is, how warm, humid, healthy.....you name it, it is. These little torts are used to roaming around freely in the wild. Therefore, I take Oli out for "walk" when it is nice and sunny, and I can tell he is MUCH HAPPIER.But you cannot imagine the patience needed here. I have to stand there and literally BODYGUARD him! But I do not mind it: I love him. (I do know that many members disagree with me here).

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Parrots in the wild fly. Snakes slide around, catch food. A dog would have a pack and hunt and roam. A hamster would have a family...