keeping water clean on partial water part of tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
My turtles are getting more active with the warmer weather and longer days, and I bought a new outside of the tank filter for them the other day. a Zoo-Med TC-30, it has the line that sucks the water out of the tank to the outside charcoal filter and the other line puts the water back in the tank. The turtles like to lay their heads under the running water, and it gives them more swimming room not having a filter in there anymore. But the water is still getting dirty fast a lot faster than I thought, and this new filter seems much trickier to clean than my old one was!! :(

I have done a little research and I have read that getting rid of the rocks on the water side helps, and to feed them the turtles in a separate container. It just stinks because I am a full time student and I work too, so there are days when I don't think I will have time to feed them in a separate container like that. Some days yes.... But honestly, I like to know that they always have food available... Any other suggestions? We use a pump to syphon the waste from the bottom of our fish tank that the waste in the rocks that pump can't get, should I try that? Or just loose the rocks? I happen to have an extra pump, never been used.... I just need to buy a bucket.
My boyfriend says the tank is smelling, he loves them too, but says we need to figure it out.... but I am cleaning it as often as I can, and I just don't know what else to do!! Suggestions please!!!!! thanks!!! :rolleyes::tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Turtles dirty a tank very quickly. Feeding outside the tank will help alot. But they do need to be in water to eat, so you will have to have a second aquarium or tub. Besides cleaning the tank more often, or removing the rocks, so the poop and food can be siphoned out easier, the only other thing I can think of is to put some money into a really good filter. One that is big enough to make it sound like it would be over kill.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wellington is right about the "over kill" filter. It helps to have one triple the size you need.

I have a 125 gallon turtle tank that is only half filled with water. I run the fluval fx5 (rated for a 400 gal tank) and it works wonders! It never smells, always has clear water and i siphon my sand/top off the water once a week.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Ok, thanks for always giving great advice. I will remove the rocks now, I just cleaned the filter and did a more than partial water change, so it already looks a ton better. I really thought this new filter I got would cut it, because the box said it cleaned up to 60 gallon tanks, and this tank only holds maybe 3 gallons on the water side. lol!! Do you have any suggestions for filters?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I love the fluval canister filters. I have a 305, 405 and fx5. The 305 and 405 have been running for 7 years with no issues. Their set up looks great, easy to clean/change media and have but yet disappointed me.

How large is your tank?

What type of turtles?

I use sand for my aquatic turtles. Any debris settles on top and siphoning is easy.

I don't like bare bottom for cosmetic reasons, so the sand works well for me.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
3 gallons of water isn't very much, and as a result will get dirty pretty quickly. I would add more water or upgrade the tank size.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
I have two 3 toed's. I adopted them last fall, if the lady was correct with her dates, then they just turned 3. I do plan on making them a larger enclosure as soon as I possibly can. It all comes down to time and $. I have just been so busy (and stressed with school.... time is rarely a luxury for me. No garden this year even. sniff...... I am doing the best that I can. I graduate this September though. Yay!! The tank that I have them in isn't Bad.... but I know that they can use the extra room. Here, I can post a photo...

Here is a pic of their tank, I just took it tonight. And here is a pic of Sheldon, waking up when I was taking the picture. Now he is swimming around like crazy, all awkwardly without the rocks. lol!! I don't know if any of you have read my prior posts about these guys, but pretty recently I realized that this turtle was mating with my other turtle. He always does it in the water, so now that the rocks are gone, I worry that he could drown her. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2013-04-13_22-10-48_601.jpg
    2013-04-13_22-10-48_601.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013-04-13_22-17-03_89 (1).jpg
    2013-04-13_22-17-03_89 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Well last night I took the rocks out and today my little guy has no been swimming nearly as much. He usually goes back and fourth all day long, and today he is confused in the water and is obviously having trouble getting out of the water side because he can't touch the bottom. My boyfriend being concerned, wanted to put the rocks back in and now he is swimming a lot more. Ugh.... I am glad he is happy, but I am still in the same problem now that I was. I have a pump that is supposed to pump more than enough, and my water still looks dirty... I am just frustrated!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I thought we were talking about aquatic turtles (like sliders or painted etc.)

Did you give the filter a good cleaning?
Maybe the media is dirty?
Filter pads need to be changed?
Do you have biological filter media? Having good bio can make a difference.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Seeing as you are keeping box turtles, I would suggest a shallower water feature such as a plant saucer. They just need a soaking feature and a saucer would much easier to remove and clean. They don't need to be fed in water and that may help keep water clean. The substrat seems nice and deep so I would suggest putting in some earthworms to both give them a hunting/foraging opportunity and also the worms would help keep the tank 'sweet'.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Team Gomberg said:
I thought we were talking about aquatic turtles (like sliders or painted etc.)

Did you give the filter a good cleaning?
Maybe the media is dirty?
Filter pads need to be changed?
Do you have biological filter media? Having good bio can make a difference.

Hi heather, thank you for your response. This is a picture of the filter I bought.... ( I found the pic on google images, there is also a charcoal filter bag that goes in the same side as the little round things) The filter was $60. I would love to buy them something more expensive but the box says that it can pump 30 gallons of water!! This tank only holds 2-3 gallons in there at a time.

Anyways, it looks like a bio filter to me.... I'm still a turtle beginner I suppose. I have had my tort for a few years but the turtles are a bit newer to me. But yes, I gave it a good clean, cleaned the rocks, the round pad, etc..... Do you think this pump is a piece of garbage?? I thought it was a upgrade compared to the little bio-bag filter I used to have in there, and now they have so much more swimming room. Maybe there is something wrong with it? I mean, it might not be super expensive but I feel like if it says it cleans a 30 gallon tank it should be able to do this!! Lol!!!

Thanks again, have a great day :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 19

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Itort said:
Seeing as you are keeping box turtles, I would suggest a shallower water feature such as a plant saucer. They just need a soaking feature and a saucer would much easier to remove and clean. They don't need to be fed in water and that may help keep water clean. The substrat seems nice and deep so I would suggest putting in some earthworms to both give them a hunting/foraging opportunity and also the worms would help keep the tank 'sweet'.

I second this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Three toed do not need to swim, they only need to be able to walk in and out to soak. So I would do as Itort suggested, get a shallow plant saucer and sink it level with the substrate. Take the whole thing out daily or every other day at least and clean and refill. I would also had the worms.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: keeping water clean on partial water part of tank

theelectraco said:
Itort said:

I second this.

I third this actually.

I originally thought these were aquatic turtles. Now knowing they are boxies i would suggest a different water set up.

If not the terra cotta saucer maybe a paint roller tray. Then they have a "deep end" but also a shallow entry point.

About the filter, I didn't really check it out. If you are dead set on keeping this current set up, let me know and then I will detail filter advice for you.

But IMO go with the paint tray ;)

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Itort said:

Larry, I thank you for your advice. But if you saw how much my guys love to swim constantly, all day long.....you would understand why that is not an option. :shy:

Team Gomberg said:
theelectraco said:
Itort said:

I second this.

I third this actually.

I originally thought these were aquatic turtles. Now knowing they are boxies i would suggest a different water set up.

If not the terra cotta saucer maybe a paint roller tray. Then they have a "deep end" but also a shallow entry point.

About the filter, I didn't really check it out. If you are dead set on keeping this current set up, let me know and then I will detail filter advice for you.

I really appreciate all of your guys' advice, I really do, but like I just said to Larry , if you guys saw how much my guys love to swim constantly, all day long.....you would understand why taking their swimming side out is not an option. They are always swimming around in the water, I would never take that away from them. There has got to be a better way. When I adopted these guys, people on this site absolutely loved this tank setup, so I don't think I need to change it. Just make a bigger one someday soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I may be wrong here, but three toed can't swim. They look like they are swimming, as they make a swimming motion, but are also able to touch the bottom, but if they could not touch and were in deep waters they would not be able to swim. Im not sure if what you are seeing is enjoyment of swimming or more of a panic, I want out. Again, I may be wrong and someone that ownes three toed can confirm. I housed a couple for just over a day, but didn't try to see if they could swim, as they aren't aquatic turtles.

If you are keeping the set up you have, I think you will need a better filter. The one you have doesn't look powerful enough to pull the water from as low as it is, up to the top of the tank and into the filter. It is doing it, but working harder then it should and therefore not pumping as much water through the filter as it is suppose to. If you can try placing the filter in a way that you can shorten the hoses and not have to pump to the filter so far, it may help.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
PumpkinPie said:
I really appreciate all of your guys' advice, I really do, but like I just said to Larry , if you guys saw how much my guys love to swim constantly, all day long.....you would understand why taking their swimming side out is not an option. They are always swimming around in the water, I would never take that away from them. There has got to be a better way. When I adopted these guys, people on this site absolutely loved this tank setup, so I don't think I need to change it. Just make a bigger one someday soon.

ok, since the swimming side stays, let me look into your filter.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
wellington said:
I may be wrong here, but three toed can't swim. They look like they are swimming, as they make a swimming motion, but are also able to touch the bottom, but if they could not touch and were in deep waters they would not be able to swim. Im not sure if what you are seeing is enjoyment of swimming or more of a panic, I want out. Again, I may be wrong and someone that ownes three toed can confirm. I housed a couple for just over a day, but didn't try to see if they could swim, as they aren't aquatic turtles.

If you are keeping the set up you have, I think you will need a better filter. The one you have doesn't look powerful enough to pull the water from as low as it is, up to the top of the tank and into the filter. It is doing it, but working harder then it should and therefore not pumping as much water through the filter as it is suppose to. If you can try placing the filter in a way that you can shorten the hoses and not have to pump to the filter so far, it may help.

Thank you....
There are rocks below so that they can touch the bottom, they are never in danger. I tried taking the rocks out the other night by advice, thinking it would help to keep my tank cleaner, but then I could see that he was panicking so I put them right back and now they are swimming around like crazy. It is so fun to watch. I totally know what you are saying.... They can't actually "swim"... But they still really enjoy it. Like if a person can't swim good but likes to dog paddle around.... That's the best way to describe it. I adopted these turtles last fall.... they have always enjoyed the water so i have never thought to change it. i posted quite a few pics when I got them, no one said anything but positive things about the turtles and the tank too... i don't want to change it, they have probably had water to "swim" in their whole lives.... Does that make sense?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think your filter is fine.

Where your problem lies is with the small amount of water. Yes, the pump is rated for 30 gallons but you are cycling only 3 gallons. You said they swim all day. It is safe to assume they poop in there too. Cycling the 3 gallons of poopy water over and over..it is going to stink.

You mentioned having a siphon. Put the rocks back in (you did that) and siphon daily or every other. Its easy to do and quick.
Other than that, a bigger water area when you upgrade their tank.

Think about it...3 gallons can only dilute their poop "so much"....

If any other idea comes to mind I'll share.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Team Gomberg said:
I think your filter is fine.

Where your problem lies is with the small amount of water. Yes, the pump is rated for 30 gallons but you are cycling only 3 gallons. You said they swim all day. It is safe to assume they poop in there too. Cycling the 3 gallons of poopy water over and over..it is going to stink.

You mentioned having a siphon. Put the rocks back in (you did that) and siphon daily or every other. Its easy to do and quick.
Other than that, a bigger water area when you upgrade their tank.

Think about it...3 gallons can only dilute their poop "so much"....

If any other idea comes to mind I'll share.

Thanks.... I do take the rocks out, I have a special colander strainer just for their tank cleaning. The problem is, when I go to clean the filter pad, it hardly looks dirty!!! My old filter (the one that it came with) 1/2 the price as this one.....but when I would take the bio-bags out to spray clean they would just be filthy... They were clearly doing their job. I don't see that with this new filter. I have cleaned it and just seen a little debris, and a little bit of residue.... But nothing compared to my old one. This new filter said for sliders, box turtles, etc.... Ugh..... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.