Kindle Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
what are the differences between the kindle and the new kindle fire?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Kindle, but haven't completely joined the bandwagon on this one yet. I'm SO reluctant to give up my ink & paper books. As a teacher, I can see the trend moving toward digital media for books so eventually I'm going to have to dooky or get off the pot.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
AnthonyC said:
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Kindle, but haven't completely joined the bandwagon on this one yet. I'm SO reluctant to give up my ink & paper books. As a teacher, I can see the trend moving toward digital media for books so eventually I'm going to have to dooky or get off the pot.

I was exactly the same. I love my books, I love books in general. I am so protective over them it's unreal!
So I was really reluctant to get the kindle. Here's why I bought one.

My mum reads loads and so for her birthday she asked for a kindle. She has started needing glasses but hated them and loved the fact she could make the font 10x bigger on the kindle, making it easier for her to read with and without her glasses.

So when my mum got hers I was curious. I stole hers one evening and started playing with it.
I found the kindle 100x lighter to hold than a book. I also found you could get brand new £10 books for £3!!!! Meaning I could afford to buy more books and therefore read more.

It also made life a lot easier for me with it being lighter. I'm often in a lot of pain so sometimes holding up a big heavy book to read just wasn't possible.

When i went on holiday I took about 10 books with me on the kindle. Which saved space and weight!

So the kindle won for me in the end. I still buy books, like I just read all The Hunger Games on kindle. Loved them that much I've just bought them as book books. So I'll have them forever in my collection of books.
I also buy books a lot when I find you need them in colour as the old kindle isn't colour, only black and white.

The kindle fire is not only in colour but you can watch films, TV programmes, read books. It's touch screen and basically more like a tablet.
I'm very much looking forward to getting it. Although it'll be a while (as it's not even been announced in the UK yet!) unless there is someone kind enough in the US for me to buy the kindle, have it sent to them and then they ship it over to me! :D :D

So I hope that wins some of you over. Although nothing can ever replace a book, I LOVE my kindle!

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
I have a pandigital. I love it! I'm sure the kindle fire would be great!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Well you made a pretty convincing argument, so I'm definitely going to do some research on it.

"unless there is someone kind enough in the US for me to buy the kindle, have it sent to them and then they ship it over to me!"--I could definitely do this for you.

Not sure if you'll be able to pull it up, but here it is on the Amazon U.S. site.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

PM me and we'll make arrangements for you to get your Kindle Fire. :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I think I'd rather get a regular kindle instead...I wouldn't get any reading done with the Fire, it being more like a tablet. Plus, is the screen more computer like too? I like the kindle screen not being like looking at a regular bright screen...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a Kindle, and just pre-order the Kindle Fire. I'm so excited. Today I sat in the Doctor's office wating for my husband. (He's very sick and we live in Doctor's offices). This is the second time I finished a book there, and wanted the sequel. It took all of 60 seconds to download, and I could sit there for another hour reading a new book. If I had the Kindle Fire, I could watch a TV show, or read all the posts on TFO.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:
I have a Kindle, and just pre-order the Kindle Fire. I'm so excited. Today I sat in the Doctor's office wating for my husband. (He's very sick and we live in Doctor's offices). This is the second time I finished a book there, and wanted the sequel. It took all of 60 seconds to download, and I could sit there for another hour reading a new book. If I had the Kindle Fire, I could watch a TV show, or read all the posts on TFO.

That sounds great. I sometimes download books on tape to my iphone but it is too small to actually read anything on it, like TFO, other than text msgs, haha. I'm thinking of getting one for my hubby for Christmas. Sorry to hear about your husband being ill. Those doctors offices can get really boring. My brother has been battling colon cancer for the last 7 years, and they spend ALOT of time in doctor's office for various consultations, tests, treatments, surgeries, etc. It gets very tiring for them too. Glad you have your kindle.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I thought this was a thread to tell us about a fire issue with the kindle....

I bought one for my wife and she rarely uses in any more, so she won't be getting one and I don't read enough to get one...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I don't have a Kindle, Nook, Ipad, etc. yet, but just placed my pre-order for the Kindle Fire! Now to sit and wait a month for it....

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
terryo - I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

I bought books whilst in spain too using the 3G! I had taken quite a few books to read but decided I wanted the sequel (like terryo) for that book i'd just finished. It downloaded in about 1 minute and I was away reading. :)

Everyone let me know what you think when you get the kindle fire. I want full reports. Good and bad :)

Thanks AnthonyC but after talking to my BF he made a very valid point. If I bought it in the US then the plug wouldn't fit in any of my sockets and i'd have to constantly carry an adapter round with me to charge it up! Good job he thought of that otherwise i'd have bought it! Lol. I'll have to read all the posts about how amazing it is and then get it when it comes over here.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
No problem, Steph. I was thinking about that too. Why don't we just have universal plugs anyway? Kinda silly, no? After reading your reasons for wanting to buy a Kindle I'm kind of intrigued myself. My biggest worry--I was reading on Yahoo! yesterday that those e-readers may be phased out b/c it makes more sense to buy a tablet. I couldn't say whether or not this is true, but it did give me something to think about.

stephiiberrybean said:
terryo - I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

I bought books whilst in spain too using the 3G! I had taken quite a few books to read but decided I wanted the sequel (like terryo) for that book i'd just finished. It downloaded in about 1 minute and I was away reading. :)

Everyone let me know what you think when you get the kindle fire. I want full reports. Good and bad :)

Thanks AnthonyC but after talking to my BF he made a very valid point. If I bought it in the US then the plug wouldn't fit in any of my sockets and i'd have to constantly carry an adapter round with me to charge it up! Good job he thought of that otherwise i'd have bought it! Lol. I'll have to read all the posts about how amazing it is and then get it when it comes over here.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Yea, it is stupid! I always get confused about adapters too. So a universal plug would be a better idea.

hmm. I can't say whether or not that will happen. I don't, in my opinion, think that will happen as my mum, and several other people i know, would not even know where to begin with a tablet yet love their kindles. So I think as long as people are buying and using the kindle it will continue to be made.
They just released a new version of the kindle which is meant to be an improvement yet isn't the tablet like the fire. So I do think they will improve the kindle although I cannot see it dying out completely :)

AnthonyC said:
No problem, Steph. I was thinking about that too. Why don't we just have universal plugs anyway? Kinda silly, no? After reading your reasons for wanting to buy a Kindle I'm kind of intrigued myself. My biggest worry--I was reading on Yahoo! yesterday that those e-readers may be phased out b/c it makes more sense to buy a tablet. I couldn't say whether or not this is true, but it did give me something to think about.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Okay, so who recieved their Kindle Fire and how do you like it?

Mine arrived yesterday and I love it! I am being cheap and currently sticking to only the free books and apps... and am going to test out the prime (1 month free!) services later.

I normally do not like to sit down and read books, but and finding that with the Kindle, I am enjoying reading more.

Case wise, I purchased a RooCase (arrived the same day) and a Gel Soft Skin Case Cover (has not arrived yet).

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I thought of a kindle and nook.both there software is proprietary... You are locked in using Amazon for purchases for kindle and BN for Nook..so went with the iPad..I have nook, kindle, and I-book all in one(i can buy my books from either )as well as I-map, email and Internet..

Of course the iPad is a little heavier than the kindle...But I'm happy with it..

hannahlouise12

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks, MN
Tony the tank said:
I thought of a kindle and nook.both there software is proprietary... You are locked in using Amazon for purchases for kindle and BN for Nook..so went with the iPad..I have nook, kindle, and I-book all in one(i can buy my books from either )as well as I-map, email and Internet..

Of course the iPad is a little heavier than the kindle...But I'm happy with it..

I have a Nook and when I bought it the sales guy told me it worked with Amazon downloads as well... but I haven't tried downloading on Amazon yet because I haven't bought many books. Anyway, aren't the prices almost the same for BN and Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.