Kinixys erosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
Hello everyone,
Our group of Kinixys erosa have been breeding like crazy and one female has been laying in her water dish frequently and pacing more than normal. Could anyone recommend a special substrate/temp for incubation? She did lay once before, but damaged them before I could get to them. I was thinking about separating her, but thought that might cause some unneccessary stress.

Thoughts??

Safari_lass

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I am not extremely familiar with the species but as with almost every species of tortoise a change in a female's activities and behavior means she is carrying eggs and is searching for a place to lay. What type of enclosure is she in? What type of soil do you have? Is it soft enough for her to dig into?

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Thank you for your response. The group was outside in a 20'x30' pen, but trampled most of their shad plants, so now they are in a 10' diameter water tank indoors. They have about 5 inches of dirt/peat moss mix then layered with a layer of leaves between 4 and 12 inches.

They seem to have enough room right now to not run into another, but I am worried about her laying eggs at night and then getting trampled :(. But when I tried separating the group awhile back, they all stopped eating and began losing weight.

My apologies for misspellings :/

I only have my phone and sometimes autocorrect gets the best of me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.