Kumquat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Anyone ever give your Redfoot(s) Kumquats? I know they're in the citrus family and may be slightly acidic, but I come from the school of thought that most things are fine in moderation. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with Kumquats and Redfoots...?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Identification
Kumquats trees belong to the Fortunella genus of the citrus species. The name comes from a Chinese word meaning "orange gold."

Description
Kumquat trees grow up to 15 feet tall and have white flowers. The kumquat fruit are round with golden-yellow to reddish-orange colored peel.

Geography
Kumquat trees are grown mainly in California, Florida and Texas. They are grown for ornamental use and for fruit.

Wood
The wood of the kumquat tree is toxic to birds. Ingesting large quantity is toxic to horses. It is not listed as toxic for dogs but caution should be used if your dog is eating a lot of wood because of impaction or gut perforation issues.

Fruit
The fortunella group is not toxic to eat for humans or dogs. But the fruit has a relatively high level of magnesium and ingesting a large quantity can have a laxative effect.

This is not in direct relation to tortoise....but is what I found....hope it helps some my little kumquat....LOL (i could not stop myself, had to say it :p:p)

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have a kumquat tree and occasionally one will fall into a pen and my torts will munch on it; never been a problem. I have leopards and sulcatas though, not redfoots. As long as it's not in large quantities (sugar-eeek!) I think it'd be fine but I'm no expert; just going off experience : )

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Angela,
Thanks!

katherine said:
I have a kumquat tree and occasionally one will fall into a pen and my torts will munch on it; never been a problem. I have leopards and sulcatas though, not redfoots. As long as it's not in large quantities (sugar-eeek!) I think it'd be fine but I'm no expert; just going off experience : )

Thank you Katherine, this is exactly the type of response I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.