baby tomatoes

brenden

5 Year Member
my red foot absolutely loves these things. are they at all bad for him? i feed him spinach every day and usually mix it up with either mushrooms or cucumber. every now and then ill give him a banana and about once a month an egg or baby mouse( frozen ). but are the tomatoes to acidic for him or are they fine in moderation?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
my red foot absolutely loves these things. are they at all bad for him? i feed him spinach every day and usually mix it up with either mushrooms or cucumber. every now and then ill give him a banana and about once a month an egg or baby mouse( frozen ). but are the tomatoes to acidic for him or are they fine in moderation?
Look here for an answer:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=448&c=8

Spinach is not good for tortoises too.You should not feed spinach:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=608&c=8

Cucumber only contains water and very few minerals or vitamins and banana is too high in sugar.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida

Bambam1989

East Texas
Awesome thanks! Next time reply faster please, It took you almost 37.33489 seconds to reply that time.
Actually go in and read the description on the plants of that site. It will have fruits labeled a no feed until you go in and read then it says "unless a fruit eating species".
Red foots do eat fruits. They also eat things like mushrooms, cooked egg, unseasoned cooked chicken and things like that. Variety is important

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Actually go in and read the description on the plants of that site. It will have fruits labeled a no feed until you go in and read then it says "unless a fruit eating species".
Red foots do eat fruits. They also eat things like mushrooms, cooked egg, unseasoned cooked chicken and things like that. Variety is important

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your whole diet is bad and needs a big change and improvement. The mushrooms and egg/mice are okay The fruits and spinach and tomatoes can be given as a treat about once a month if you want but not needed and should be only one of the items in a small portion.
The others gave you great sites for food ideas.

Last edited:

brenden

5 Year Member
yikes! can someone help me to design a better diet for him?

brenden

5 Year Member
Do you have access to a pesticide free yard that you can find weeds? Or are you restricted to foods you can find at stores?
yeah i live in Canada. for a few months out of the year i let him out in the backyard pretty much all day, but during the winters hes in his box ive built for him. so yes for the most part im restricted to buying his food at walmart/save-on

Bambam1989

East Texas
yeah i live in Canada. for a few months out of the year i let him out in the backyard pretty much all day, but during the winters hes in his box ive built for him. so yes for the most part im restricted to buying his food at walmart/save-on
I can't give good advice on how often to feed the fruits and proteins since I don't keep a redfoot myself. But since a large amount of their diet are greens I can suggest some that you may be able to find at stores although some may be seasonal for you. Remember that the larger the variety the better.
. Brussel sprouts
. Fresh Dill weed
. Endive
. Escarole
. Kale
. Cilantro(coriander)
. Artichoke (all parts of it are edible)
. Lambs lettuce
. Pak choy (bok choy)
. Radish Leaves (not the root)
. Rocket (arugula)
. Zucchini or other summer squash on occasion
. Nopales (Opuntia/ thornless prickly pear cactus)

Several common house plants are also edible (any new plant should be repotted with new soil to help remove fertilizers and pesticides and only offered new growth)
Some that you can easily find are-
. Aloe vera
. Christmas cactus
. Wandering Jew(spiderwort)
. Prayer plant
. Bromeliads
. Spider plant

Hope my list helps give you ideas.

AmberD

Ontario
I'm also in Canada and limited to mostly grocery store foods. Bambam gave you great ideas for grocery stores. I also purchased a bad of seeds for weeds from Carolina pet supply and it has been easy to grow and feed to my redfoot. I have also been growing a hibiscus inside, its been doing fairly well as well as a cactus plant. I feed veggies or fruit almost daily, but only an amount the size of my redfoots head, which only makes up about 10% of his daily diet right now. I alternate between squash, mushrooms, papaya, pear and occasionally cucumber as it is mostly water for those. For greens endive, dandelion, his weed mix, and sometimes spring mix mixed in

AmberD

Ontario
Forgot to mention butterworms once every couple of weeks for protein and cuttlebone available

brenden

5 Year Member
thanks everyone. i will get him on his new diet as soon as possible. i have a bunch of seeds on order from amazon as well. not much of a gardener but ill give it a shot