lap top computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Well... I did buy a new laptop. Actually I bought two. One for me and a surprise present for my Joe (he was the one that really needed one). I wanted to up-grade, but I was not in a rush.

OK, this is what I bought. Please don't laugh! It has been really hot here in Brooklyn, so I have been a bit of a "shut in." I hate these hot summers that have become even hotter. I just happened to see a Gateway laptop being advertised on "HSN." Looked great!

Gateway, NV55Se36u is the model #. Not too expensive, $550 & $12 for shipping & handling. It has a Quad-core Processor, 4 GB of memory, 750 GB HDD and it is (size) 15.6" 16.9 HD LED LCD. With a two year tech support and warranty. Also loaded with lots of software.

This laptop seems nice, but I am not sure if I am going to keep it. I may go higher end or even go with an Mac. I have a 30 day, no question asked, return policy on the computer. This I feel is my problem with this laptop: the volume is not high enough, It is not as fast as I hoped that it would be and I am not sure if I am 100% happy with the quality of the laptop it self, keyboard, etc. I could live with it, but I can afford to do much better, money is not a problem. I just what to be happy with it. I did not jump into the Mac because I am familiar with the format of Microsoft. The idea of learning a new format seemed a bit daunting.

Please tell me what you think about this new laptop.

Thanks, C

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't settle. If it bothers you already, return it.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
The "brand" is pretty much irrelevant. It is just a shiny sticker/logo/case that a big company (ie HP, Dell, Acer, etc) slaps around computer parts.

Look at the stuff inside more closely then a brand.

Harddrive: 500gb will do just fine and is the standard now a days -- will hold alot of pictures and videos
RAM: Nothing less then 4gb
Screen: That is a person preference really
CPU: Atleast dual core -- quad would be better but would cost you more, and it doesn't sound like you will be needing the processing speed so dual core should suit your needs fine.
OS: Assuming you are going Windows, so Windows 7 Ultimate

Everything else is fluff

And don't buy extra software, there is plenty of good and free software out there to suit your needs.

http://www.ninite.com is a great place to go and get all your needed software in 1 easy installation file.

All the software you need is on the link above :)

In the end, you should be able to get everything you need for just under $400 (just did a quick look around my area and average price with above specs is $349)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
jaizei said:
Is this it?

If the speed is already bothering you, it will only get more frustrating. Personally, I would prefer a faster processor and more RAM.

If you do return it, I would recommend looking on the following sites:

http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.newegg.com

And of course: amazon.com

Yes! This is the Laptop that I bought! But I saw the first "event" show on the laptop and got a better price...$550 (I believe) and then s&h about $12.00.

You said that you prefer a faster processor and more RAM... What amount do you prefer? I don't have a clue about this stuff.

When I bought my first computer, I just asked a friend of mine to pick one out, and I will call them with the credit card and address...

Thanks for the web sites! And thank you for your help. ~C

emysemys said:
Don't settle. If it bothers you already, return it.

Thank you Yvonne! Good advice! But my problem is that my brother put a "dark cloud" on my purchase, after the fact. Him being such an intellectual, pessimist (you wonder were I got this character flaw), and Tom saying that my budget was "cheap," I may be second guessing myself. All of the computer tech talk may as well be Greek to me! LOL! After looking at a few of them on the websites, they all blend into a confusing mess to me and I have to stop looking. Unlike my brother, I did not inherit the intellectual gene... I blame my mother for that! Old egg!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I watched the video after you mentioned it. Maybe you are lucky after all, "the most powerful processor money can buy in a laptop". :rolleyes: I used to like watching the home shopping channels and infomercials when I was younger, but after I started working and had money of my own I had to stop; otherwise I'd own every product Ron Popeil ever invented. :p

If I was buying a general purpose laptop, I'd probably get something with at least 6GB of RAM, and a quad core processor that's at least 2.0 GHz. I would avoid a built in web cam.

It is hard to recommend a particular model because I think buying a computer is somewhat personal. Also, I tend to be hard on computers, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Thank you Jaizei! I have been watching the feedback numbers on the HSN site...and I am seeing mixed reviews. Some having the same problems that I am having. This laptop is not fast, and I am having a problem with the mouse pad. The screen is beautiful w/nice size, but I am still not sure if I am going to keep it...

I did check out the Mac pro: Apple MacBook Pro MD104LL/A Amazons price is around $2,000. I may just order it.

I respect you advice! LOL! Also, I know what you mean about these hsn type of programs. I try not to watch them also. I have too much stuff as it is. But I have to say that I love beautiful white diamonds... I can get sucker into buying one of those babies in a heartbeat... I guess I need to make a trip to "Best Buy," to see some of these laptops. Best buy also has that Mac Pro for about $100 more, but I can check it out.

Thank you again! ~C

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I would return it. However, I didn't consult with the high powers that be. (Jason) The computer engineer. He would know. :) I will consult with him and let him know what you purchased and see what he says. I would return it just because of your "doubt and dislikes". But, that's me.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I have a Macbook...love love love it. I've had it for about 3 years and just had to replace the battery last week, but it's still running like a dream. :) My sister has since gotten the Macbook Air and last week my mom bought the Macbook Pro. Definitely worth every cent.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I also got a Macbook Pro 3 years ago and works perfect to this day! I need to replace the battery because it only lasts about an hour and a half but other than that nothing is wrong with it. If you are still in the market for one get one from apple. I got mine for college three years ago because of the discount and they do the discount every year around this time. Heres the link http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/education_pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.