large dog crate for tortoise?

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
I have a large dog crate that I was thinking of using for an outdoor enclosue. The bottom tray comes out so it could sit on the ground. Of course with some modifications. I know they need outside time and she would never be alone ( planning on getting a baby). But I am terrified of a predator mainly our hawks getting her. Do you think this would work? It's 24 x 36 . Only want to use it for when she's a baby. The permanent outdoor is going to be 12 ft by 4 ft. And well secured. But still will not leave her unattended or out at night. Thanks :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A 'large' dog crate seems to be awfully big for a baby tortoise. A dog crate would be the 'shelter' part of an outdoor enclosure, not the whole enclosure. For a baby you can use a little plastic kiddy wading pool, or anything like that with tall sides that he can't climb out of.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
A 'large' dog crate seems to be awfully big for a baby tortoise. A dog crate would be the 'shelter' part of an outdoor enclosure, not the whole enclosure. For a baby you can use a little plastic kiddy wading pool, or anything like that with tall sides that he can't climb out of.
It's the all wire kind. I'm so afraid of the hawks. They are a nesting pair. Stole my son's lunch last year right off the table.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OH...I was picturing the solid walled plastic kind. Yeah, that would work for the time being. Any time you can get him out in the sun is good time!!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'd add a perimeter along the bottom so the little tort doesn't fit in between the wires and escape.
In or outside of it? Or both? We are going to make a roof for half of it. With a hide, water bowl and a bunch of plants.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Inside would be better, so the tort can't climb up the bars. :)
Why do you want to make a roof? The hide and plants provide shade.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i think you could put it inside or outside. The bars are far enough apart that I don't think it would matter. I would put a roof on part of it too. A baby can over heat very fast and a small box hide can't release heat and will probably be hotter in there then out in the sun. Yes, put a roof over half at least for a baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Inside would be better, so the tort can't climb up the bars. :)
Why do you want to make a roof? The hide and plants provide shade.

A baby over heats quickly. A hide sitting in the sun gets too hot. The plants will help some, but it wouldn't hurt to offer more shade options. UVB is still received even in and under plants so covering a portion isn't a big deal.