Large Sulcata posted on Craigs List - Gardenia CA

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Wow. He is a beauty. Hard to tell from the pics but he sure looks bigger than 60 - 70 pounds. They say getting to big? I wonder if they are just getting tierd of the damage he might be doing to their somewhat small yard? I wish I were in Cali with a big chunk of land so I could rescue all the torts that get posted from out there!

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
getting too big.. what did they expect?
at least he looks good.

Seriously! At least they cared for him well.
It is like a Saint Bernard that our dog rescue took last year. Was surrendered to a high kill shelter because he got to big. He was 1 year old. It's like no **** Sherlock!!

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Yes it is amazing the lack of knowledge exhibited. I too wish I had a larger plot of land so I could rescue them all. Unfortunately land in So. Cal comes at a premium - I am lucky to have the 1/4 of an acre I have for my rescue Sulcata and am hopeful by the time he is 5 I will have much more room than that for him to roam. Animals are so innocent.... it is seriously heartbreaking.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Large Sulcata posted on Craigs List - Gardenia CA

tortoiselady said:
With a $400 price tag that is hard to swallow today considering they are free from the CTTC. All you have to do is apply and let them check your yard.

It is a beauty :)

Exactly...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
$400 for a sulcata of that quality and size is a pretty good price.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Somebody got a good one. That tortoise looked great. Gardena has a mild climate and is just a few miles from the beach, so decent humidity there. I found it interesting how smooth he was, but also how dark. I wonder if the darkness was due to the cooler beach climate?

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Tom said:
Somebody got a good one. That tortoise looked great. Gardena has a mild climate and is just a few miles from the beach, so decent humidity there. I found it interesting how smooth he was, but also how dark. I wonder if the darkness was due to the cooler beach climate?

Hi Tom,
That is a good question - what makes some of them darker? I thought possibly due to DNA for one, and the other idea was not enough sunlight. What do you think?

Anyone who wants one good looking and healthy male sulcata should contact me - if you live in the LA area. I have a rescue/male in that is a real looker. (CTTC - Valley) I would post his picture here, but I can't figure out how - LOL.