Lazy tortoise, something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
Somedays they he is active. Others he goes right back to bed after eating. Why does he do this? Is it normal for him to sleep 20 hours a day almost every day? It seems i wake him up with a warm soak and right after he eats he id done for the day. If i take him out of his encloser he runs around. Inside all he wants to do is sleep.

Kyle & Turbo

knichols239

5 Year Member
Good question,my male acts the same way,hope someone answers this

Sent from my LG-MS770 using TortForum mobile app

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hatchlings sleep/hide for long amounts of time; this is normal. When tiny, instinct tells them to hide from predators. Also, it takes quite a while to feel secure in new surroundings. As long as he eats, drinks, poops and is alert, you should be fine.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
If ever you are nervous about your tortoises behavior the first thing to do is check everything you are doing. Temperatures, humidity,diet all of it. Then come on here and tell us what you have found and how the tortoise is acting that makes you nervous. But saying that you are worried about something doesn't help us help you very quickly at all. Please also tell us what age and species you have. For example the advice for a hatchling may be different than an adult. And certainly the advice for a redfoot would be different than for a russian. That will get you the answers you need in the quickest time. The behavior you are describing could be very typical for a hatchling. It could also be because its too cold or perhaps because the lights you are using are bothering its eyes.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Its a baby 1 month old redfoot. And im not super worried i was just curious if this is typical for a young redfoot. The lights i am using are very popular and people.on the forum have said they r ok. The heat and humidity has been approved by a lot of people on this forum aswell. He is just not moving...

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
I took him outside today and fed him, he ran arpund for an hour ir so. I brought him inside. He walked around for ten minutes and went back to bed for the night. Its 11 am here....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A typical day for a tort goes something like

Find something to eat
Poop
Go sleep it off for a long time
Go find something to eat, etc

They do sleep for long periods, even the adults if it all comes easy to them. To encourage more natural behaviour make your tort work for his food. Put it in different places around the enclosure. Have some living lettuce or edible plants that he can nibble at. Don't put the food right next to your tort and don't feed at the same time each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.