leaving for a few days

Location (City and/or State)
sc
hi, im leaving for vacation for 2-3 days. what should i do get a sitter or leave him with food and his heating mat?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've left my redfoot for periods of up to a week, but he's in a closed system with temp and humidity dialed in, and I just made sure to soak and feed him a bunch before I left and leave him some nibbles that won't mold while I'm gone (pothos leaves for my guy).

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Timers, timers, timers. A good soaking before you depart, followed by a good soaking when you return.

What kind of tort? How old?

Lights on timers, soakings, a good pile of food wh3n you depart, remove any DEEP waterdish hou might have,

Torts are survivors......a few days with minimal care.....and they are fine.

Did i say “lights on timers” ...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is there any chance he could tip over and not right himself?
I think I would be a bit worried about leaving a heating mat on unsupervised but that would depend on what sort of mat it is and if it is under substrate etc.

sc
He hasn't flipped himself over in a while. I leave his heat may on low and he has newspaper as bedding. ok see if I can get some cheap timers.

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He hasn't flipped himself over in a while. I leave his heat may on low and he has newspaper as bedding. ok see if I can get some cheap timers.

Have you read the care sheets for the sulcatas here on the forum? If you have newspaper bedding, you may need to be provided with some better information. If you need a link, let us know please...

sc
Oh ok. I was going to fill his cage one side hay and the other news paper. The vet i took him to (which has a huge sulcat a tortoise) food me she liked to use news paper as bedding, she also uses Timothy bay as bedding. I haven't read the card sheet yet. When I got him I was stubborn and didn't do my reaserch. I'm probably going to leave him at home.​

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh ok. I was going to fill his cage one side hay and the other news paper. The vet i took him to (which has a huge sulcat a tortoise) food me she liked to use news paper as bedding, she also uses Timothy bay as bedding. I haven't read the card sheet yet. When I got him I was stubborn and didn't do my reaserch. I'm probably going to leave him at home.​

That’s definitely not a suitable substrate. Please read all of these and make changes as soon as you can.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Your tortoise requires 80-100% humidity, and a deep, damp substrate of fine grade orchid bark, coconut coir, or cypress mulch. Your tortoise likely will not eat hay at that age, and all it will do is mold, so it needs to be removed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I haven't got the hay in yet. I'll try to get some other bedding. But he also has some open wounds from my dog,that's the main reason I have newspaper bedding. Thanks

Aaaagh. Keeping the wounds clean on newspaper (that makes sense now). Easier to keep any open wounds clean(er) on paper.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Will your dog be home when you are away or will he be with you?
Maybe ask the vet if she can take your tort for a few days.
Newspaper could be a fire hazard with your lamps and heat mat if left unsupervised.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Greetingd

Have you posted a pix of your tort and enclosure/set up.? That would help everyone help you.

Btw, going away for 2-3 days isnt very stressful for a tort as long as you soak before, soak after, lights on timers, a pile of food the day you depart.

When you return, a good soaking, and all is well.

The trick is to look out for “gotchas” - flipping over into water dishes, lights not on timers, etc. Heating stable, etc.
If you have all that worked out ahead of time, it’s easy to pop out for 2, 3, even a week.

Test your setup now (when you are home) but “pretend” your not there. Just monitor things and see what needs tweaking and what (if any) hazards are present.

Good luck

Elisa

Springfield, MO
It looks like you're using a clamp lamp. Please be sure its properly secured before you leave. They're a major fire hazard, especially with newspaper "substrate"