Am Leaving Home 2-3 Days and Need Advice/Help

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. I am leaving home for a couple of days, 2 or 3 and am obliged to leave my tort at home alone. I would have taken it along with me but I live in a society where there is "dislike" for animals whatever it may be. What am I to do for my tort? Ok, food and water are always available in its enclosure. What of light? Am I to leave it on? Any suggestions, tips, advice would be very highly appreciated as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Invest in a timer and thermostat. Makes tortoise keeping way easier.
Agree 100% here. All my tortoises are in enclosures that have automated timers for lights and thermostats for controlling heating sources as well as misting systems. This makes life easier for caring for my tortoises as well as any unforeseen situation that may come up that involves me not being there to turn things on.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I generally leave lights off if I'm gone for a few days. A few days without a bright light or basking spot won't hurt anything.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I generally leave lights off if I'm gone for a few days. A few days without a bright light or basking spot won't hurt anything.

I leave my lights on a timer when I'm gone in the winter because the crew needs the heat. In the summer, if I leave them indoors, I turn the lights off if the weather is going to be very hot. What to do with lights and timers really depends on the ambient temperature, I think.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have my mom keep an eye on my guys . But all light and heat is on a timer or thermostats.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have my mom keep an eye on my guys . But all light and heat is on a timer or thermostats.
Thanks your reply. The thing is that I live...alone: I can't ask anyone to keep an eye on my tort, nor can I leave it at a friend's.