leaving my tort for the holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadie tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My Russian Tortoise sadie needs to be left home for the weekend. I know she'll be good and angry with me when I get back for leaving her but can anyone recomend anything to keep her comfortable. Her light is on a timer so she'll have that and i'll leave plenty of water and food. I just know she'll eat it all by tomorrow night though and then have to be with out for 2 days.

How do you lave your guys when you go away?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Is there anyone who could go in and feed her? I have many pets, so I always hire the neighbor kid to come a few times a day to play with the dogs and check on everything.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
The easiest thing to do is leave the lights off and no food. They're used to dealing with sporadic food availability and no lights would be like a cloudy weather period. That'll lower their metabolism consuming less energy and therefore reducing their draws on their reserves. They'll be fine and thrilled to see that the "sun" comes back when you do!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
they can last a weekend without food, don't worry about that, For lights, maybe just put the UVB on or something.. Even if they bask they will be fine for the weekend. They can go weeks without food,

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I think the most important things are warmth and water.

Bernie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mountain Home, Idaho
I don't have any advice. All I can tell you is that I left Hank for four days with enough food for about 10 days. When I walked in the door after my trip the smell was ungodly. Hank had not only pooped in her water dish but she'd also dragged all of her food into it creating a rotting, stinky mess.

I think she was mad.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Oh Bernie, that is funny. But also a good warning. I am lucky to have a sister and a nephew a mile away that both love the Pebb. When it was summertime Pebb went on a weekend vacation to Grandma's house. He did good with the car ride, and I had to transfer all the "equiptment" that goes with him. But it worked just fine. I wonder if those "Doggy Day-care" places would have any ideas. Or a vets office????? hummm

sakkakth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
norrath
I board my torts at the vet I go to in San Diego because I know they are familiar with all kinds of reptiles and exotics and they offer this service. But for just a weekend or something I just leave water. I've found if I leave too much food it just invites bugs.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just wondered what you decided to do and how it went.
Patsy

greenLUV

5 Year Member
i leave my buddies once a month for a few day,

i leave a nocturnal 100w red light on all 3 days wiyh roughly 2 days days worth of food, seems to work for my fatties..

Status
Not open for further replies.