Leaving Leopard Overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly-Leo

5 Year Member
Hello All...

I'm new to this. I've had Lilly - our 4 year old Leopard for about 6 weeks. Over the Xmas break, my partner and I will be visiting his parents for 3 days and will not be within distance to come back and maintain Lilly's current 12 hour routine for light and dark.

Can anyone recommend what we can do? I.e. is there a make shift travel arrangement as our 4 ft viv isn't travel friendly! Is leaving her with ample food for 3 days a no go with the heat and light settings?

I'd appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks Lilly-Leo

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I think I would feed her right before you leave, and just make sure that there's plenty of water. Get a timer for the lights, and I think you'll be fine. When you return, she'll be hungry and happy to see you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Definatly geta timer for lights and heater. You should have those anyway! as for feeding... big helping before you leave and a good feeding when you get back... makes him happy to see you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'd let the light and temps drop and let her go dormant for a couple of days. As long as she's healthy, She'll be fine as a one off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopards don't hibernate, that I know of, so not to sure will go dormant. I plant tortoise seeds in a container that you can put in the cage for when you leave. Start them now and they will be up in a couple of days and ready for eating by xmas. I grow seeds in my leopards home so he has the weeds and grass when ever he wants and I don't have to worry about him not eating if I am not home in time for his second feeding. Also a timer is a must. Also, be sure plenty of water, one for soaking and maybe a smaller one that he can't soak in and get dirty but can just drink out of. Last make sure he can't flip onto his back and not upright himself and everything should be fine. Have a nice Christmas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never go anyplace and leave my animals alone. Even if I only had one, I would make arrangements for someone to take care of it...even for just one day.

M

Maggie Cummings

Get a convenient sized tub to take her in and take her! I agree with Yvonne, I would never leave mine alone. Put her in a tub and bring a light to keep her warm and take her with you. They are not that much trouble to take...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I ditto maggie and yvonne!

I missed out on a family holiday because i did not trust my sister with tiago even though she new what she was doing! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
I think I would feed her right before you leave, and just make sure that there's plenty of water. Get a timer for the lights, and I think you'll be fine. When you return, she'll be hungry and happy to see you.

Ditto.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The problem with totally leaving an animal home during the winter are those horrible unforeseen problems. Things happen like bulbs burn out, a tortoise gets on it's back under a light, power goes out, or the heating system for the house crashes. In the summer it is no big deal. Winter time, it can be deadly as the cold creeps in. :(

Do you have somebody who could come in and just do a quick look see? They don't have to feed or anything. Just be sure the houses heat is on, the tortoise is not in trouble, and such. They can be totally hands off.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with yagyujubei.

Even if bulbs burn out, 3 days in the dark wouldn't be too detrimental to a tortoise. The heating might be an issue, so unless you leave your house in the 70's for the days you are gone, you might want to have someone come over to check on him/her.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Add me to the yagyujubei agreement list.

An inexperienced keeper "meaning well" could even cause more harm than what could happen left completely unattended.

Even when I have had people watch my home during various business trips, I have specifically instructed them not to bother with the reptiles.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ALL ABOARD!!!!! I am absolutely on the Maggie and Yvonne train here....I have made my reptiles dependent on me by taking in nowthe captive reptiles...it is not their problem if I have life to tend to they have daily requirements that are important....so I do not go a night without being home and or set up for all to be peeked in on if I do find myself in a jam.....IMHO as always....:D

I do think it is a big deal for lights and heat to be off for three days.....especially since we are in the cool time of year.....:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Some times you have no choice but to leave them for a day or two and if the proper precautions are made then things should be okay.

I have had to do it but never longer than two days. it's unfortunate but I don't trust my neighbors and I hate that some even know I keep tortoises...

Lilly-Leo

5 Year Member
That's for your input everyone. I'm torn now though. Two completely different end to the spectrum. It's hard with a timer though. I've been recommended NOT to get one but you all sound keen that it's a must?
What about turning the temp up and down? That doesn't seem feasible with a timer?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I won't tell you that a timer is a must. :D When I was on the road, I did have timers. Now that I am home, I don't use them. I like being able to decide when to turn lights on or off, raise or lower the temps and try to more mimic nature. :cool:

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
The lights on a timer is a must..A heat source(on a thermostat) is the same..But why don't you put some cactus pads(spineless) in with your tort..That is the best weekend food you can use!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some thermostats have the ability to set different temps for night and day. Google a few pet stores.

Consider leaving trays of 'living lettuce' from the supermarket in the enclosure ... they don't wilt so quickly and stay fresh longer

Status
Not open for further replies.