Leopard edibles :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

5 Year Member
An someone please tell me a few edible plants that are widely available I've been reading, and reading but am just getting more confused with all the Latin and the toxic and non toxic plants I am just looming for someone to tell me 4 or 5 plants I can grow myself and feed my tortoises. Please and thank you (I all ready know about jade and am looking for an organic grower as I was about to feed jade from a local greenhouse until the lady told me they spray chemicals on there plants so she led me to an organic grower)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
GREAT LINK! Wish i would have found this 2 weeks ago, but my time with Eros and Gaia is just starting so I got plenty of time to make adjustments!

Ziggy

5 Year Member
My Name is Darryl I'm from Toronto Canada... I have two leopard tortoises named Ziggy and Franklin.... Ziggy is 2+ and we found out today he's a he the hard way pun intended .... And franklin I just got in November and is only 6 months old I have them together in a 4x4 sandbox type enclosure I built with coconut core as a substrate.... I currently feed them Kale, watercress, dandelion, mix greens, and mazzuri on occasion... I recently booth a 4' florescent tube light and am trying to grow clovers, oats, buckwheat, and a few other greens to give them some really fresh grub. Anyways I pray I'm doing the best I can for these little guys because they deserve it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
During summer look for Mulberry leaves. You can also try spineless opuntia cactus. It grows really well in pots. Hibiscus is a great one both for the flowers and leaves. Rose of sharon is also a good one and I think it will survive where you are. Its seasonal and the leaves will drop off in the winter and then regrow in Spring. Grapevines are also seasonal and the leaves are excellent food for tortoises.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've always wondered...are Fruitless Mulberry leaves the same as Mulberry? The leaves look different.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Both are fine. There are actually two species of Mulberry commonly for sale, both with fruiting and non-fruiting varieties. The leaves of all of them are great tortoise food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisalove said:
Whew-my little guy has been loving them!

Mine haven't been loving them at all since fall... :(

Spring is almost here. Those buds are budding... :)

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have 4 trees. One actually had leaves until just about a month ago which was crazy.
Of course the leaves weren't as great as Spring and Summer, but Nodder didn't care!

Veggyeater

5 Year Member
New Castle, Colorado
Where do you all get your tort food. I am not a botanist and live in the mountains. I would know where to start to look for things like mulberry leaves or desert mallow. I want to give my little guy the best but I just don't know where to look. I have been doing grass pellets, romaine, carrots, & collard greens. I'm going to try to grow prickly pear soon.

Thanks for any advice!!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
There are actually two species of Mulberry commonly for sale, both with fruiting and non-fruiting varieties.

Mulberry trees grow VERY fast, and the roots are quite invasive, so be careful where you plant it. Also the fruit, while quite delicious, is very messy when it drops.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D good luck with your leopards and your plant search. The rose of Sharon trees you should be able to grow as Tom said. I live in Chicago, cold winters and they grow back bigger every year and will multiply easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.