Leopard Gecko and Leopard Tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
My sister and me were wondering what would happen if I put my baby leopard tortoise in her Leopard gecko tank? We wouldn't do it but what would happen? We were really curious. The gecko is 3" long (including tale) and my baby Leopard is 3" long too. What would happen? This is just out of curiosity. Thanks fellow TFO members :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Do they live in the same conditions in the wild? As in the same heat and humidity? If so I don't see where there would be a major problem since geckos and tortoises don't eat the same food. Geckos are insectivores, right?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tortus said:
Do they live in the same conditions in the wild? As in the same heat and humidity? If so I don't see where there would be a major problem since geckos and tortoises don't eat the same food. Geckos are insectivores, right?

Yes they are.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
They don't come from the same place though and in all honesty, geckos are kind of stupid and would probably chase the tortoise around just because it's moving.... which would probably stress out the tort.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
futureleopardtortoise said:
They don't come from the same place though and in all honesty, geckos are kind of stupid and would probably chase the tortoise around just because it's moving.... which would probably stress out the tort.

I meant geckos are insectivores. And I don't think geckos are stupid :-/

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
#1- Geckos are NOT stupid and the Gecko wouldn't chase the Tortoise just because it was moving,
#2- I think it would stress out both animals to be honest because they aren't used to each other and don't see each other in the wild.
#3- Don't think that they would hurt each other but just get stressed out at first until they were used to each other.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Honestly, I'd worry more about the tortoise harming the gecko. More than a few members here have reported their torts munching fledgling birds, prekilled mice, worms, small snakes, amphibians, etc. Tortoises are opportunistic animals in the wild, even the hebivores like leopards and sulcatas.

Your gecko could lose its tail, a toe, perhaps an entire limb to the curious tortoise.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
StudentoftheReptile said:
Honestly, I'd worry more about the tortoise harming the gecko. More than a few members here have reported their torts munching fledgling birds, prekilled mice, worms, small snakes, amphibians, etc. Tortoises are opportunistic animals in the wild, even the hebivores like leopards and sulcatas.

Your gecko could lose its tail, a toe, perhaps an entire limb to the curious tortoise.

I guess. The tortoise is 3" long. This is all out of pure curiosity :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Meh, my gecko is stupid, but I guess he's "special". I know for a fact he would go after the tortoise because it's moving, he "stalks" me all the time when I'm trying to spot clean his enclosure, thankfully his biting doesn't hurt or we'd have a problem. He's my first leopard gecko though and I suppose I just forget they don't all come from his crappy circumstances :p

EKLC

5 Year Member
I think the fact that one is from the south asian desert and the other is from african grasslands means you couldn't find conditions well-suited to both in the same enclosure. I don't think they would do anything to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.