tylerandersen

10 Year Member!
Is this a male or female Leopard?
Thanks for the input

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tylerandersen

10 Year Member!
Want to get some options on if I have a boy or girl here.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would say a male with an unusually small tail

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What is making you guys think male ?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I would say young male. The first picture shows the take shape and the last pics shoes some slight plaston concave.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is only 4 years old, he's still too small to know for sure.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not a leopard expert, but that looks male to me, Very wide open v shape anal scute, tail is small but has the shape of a male, narrow and hanging to one side, and the tip of the tail just about reaches the outer side of the anal scute. Also looks like the plastron is slightly concaving. A tight v shape or u shaped anal scute would suggest female. Yours looks male to me. How long is the plaston. The 2nd photo on this thread says male to me. Bye :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well then, it's a female or a male, or it's too early to tell and now the consensus seems to be male.
Or not.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's an interesting one. I'd place all my money on female.

- Anal scutes don't tell us jack really, but they do have a more female appearance
- The tail is the dimorphic characteristic that develops first (in my experience), so even with a young tortoise I would expect to see a larger tail if it were male.
- Supracaudal scute extends outwards. I would expect to see it begin to curve inward if it were male.

The only reservation I have is that i can't see the shape of the tail from these angles. If you had a picture showing the tail extended or relaxed a little more it might make me feel better (or worse) about saying it's a female. But, given that it is very short in length, I'll stick with female.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's an interesting one. I'd place all my money on female.

- Anal scutes don't tell us jack really, but they do have a more female appearance
- The tail is the dimorphic characteristic that develops first (in my experience), so even with a young tortoise I would expect to see a larger tail if it were male.
- Supracaudal scute extends outwards. I would expect to see it begin to curve inward if it were male.

The only reservation I have is that i can't see the shape of the tail from these angles. If you had a picture showing the tail extended or relaxed a little more it might make me feel better (or worse) about saying it's a female. But, given that it is very short in length, I'll stick with female.
Mmm. Can't wait to see what this one is. I love it when everyone tries to sex torts. Everyone learns. If I was everyone else I'd go female, I'm always wrong. Lol. :)