Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, not to be fertile. They're either fertile or they're not. But I think he was talking about the South African leopards hatching easier with a diapause. I raised over 100 babcock with no diapause.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Thats a lot of eggs. Can't wait to see if they hatch and baby pictures.

If only i didn't live across the pond, i'd come and get some. :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
emysemys said:
No, not to be fertile. They're either fertile or they're not. But I think he was talking about the South African leopards hatching easier with a diapause. I raised over 100 babcock with no diapause.

I have also hatched many, many babcocki eggs with no diapause but my friends who breed pardalis pardalis say that diapause is required for them.
The taxonomists insist that the two forms are not sub-species but there are some real differences between the populations.

vickihale

5 Year Member
I bet that's 2 nests. My 22 pound female usually lays 10 to 14 eggs per clutch.
That's a lot of eggs! You will have fun watching those eggs for the next few months and more fun watching the hatchlings. Got my fingers crossed they're viable!
Vicki Hale
http://tortoiseyard.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Vicki:

Nice to see you here.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was two nests. There was a space between two clumps of eggs of about 2". I hope they're fertile.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I think its a pretty good bet that these eggs aren't fertile.

I went out this evening to close all the doors and make sure everyone is ok and this is what I see in the Leopard pen:

11-8-11a.jpg

This is the same female that dug the nest in this thread.

This picture is to give you an idea how they are able to dig in really dry, hard earth:
11-8-11b.jpg

That's a lot of pee to make that mud like that.

So I guess I have a chicken. She's going to lay eggs whether she's been bred or not. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
bummer, maybe she is practicing until she gets a BF.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eric:

There hasn't been a male with my females for about 2 or 3 years...I really can't remember how long its been. Since she has started another nest, I think its a pretty sure bet that the eggs aren't fertile. I THOUGHT the last batch MIGHT be fertile, but now another nest with no male, probably not fertile.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
I had a adult redfoot a few years ago(more like 10). She was only with another female and the 3rd year I had her she laid the first eggs that I know of. 2 of 5 eggs hatched and she laid two more clutches and 3 hatched before I moved and sold her. She was wild caught but thats 3 years without a male. Good luck with your eggs.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So are you gonna keep incubating them anyways?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
So are you gonna keep incubating them anyways?

No. I've got 28 eggs from her previous two clutches in the incubator. That's enough.

I went back out after dark and she was still digging the hole, so I moved her into the tortoise house. It was already 45 degrees and she was cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This a.m. there were 15 eggs on the floor of the tortoise house. I wish there were a way to make them stop laying eggs.

You know...all this time I've been saying she isn't with a male, and yet I'm forgetting my little male, first leopard egg I ever hatched. He's about 4 or 5 years old. He's quite a bit smaller than the female, but I wonder.....if she's receptive and stands still for him, maybe he can reach all the right parts. I've never seen him breeding the girls, though.

In case any of you were wondering, the nest was about 8" deep when I pulled her off it.
11-10-11.jpg

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
emysemys said:
Hi Eric:

There hasn't been a male with my females for about 2 or 3 years...I really can't remember how long its been. Since she has started another nest, I think its a pretty sure bet that the eggs aren't fertile. I THOUGHT the last batch MIGHT be fertile, but now another nest with no male, probably not fertile.

Ok, well let's hope that something hatches from one of those eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.