Leopard Tortoise Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss28

5 Year Member
[/font]I have two baby leopard tortoise. I took them to vet on thursday, one has been a lttle sluggish. He was starting to move around and eat. The vet gave him a vitamin A shot in his butt. He jumped big time. Ever since then he has retracted in his shell and hasn't come out. I took a stethescope to listen to his heart. I cant hear anything. He also has markings on his shell(red) and the bottom of his shell is red. Please help me. Im gonna take him to the vet as as they open.:(

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Welcome to TFO. Can you post a pic of the red shell? Can you also tell us how you have been keeping them, like temps,water,food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Miss28:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Without seeing the tortoise, all we can do is guess. Septicemia causes red to show through the shell. But, like I said, its just a guess.

We usually don't like to see the Vitamin A injections, especially on such a small tortoise. It can cause all the skin to slough off if given too much.

I'd rather do soaks instead of injections. If the baby is still alive, buy some Gerber baby food, strained carrots or squash or sweet potatoes. Use a bowl with a flat bottom and high sides (with a small foot print). Put the whole jar of baby food in there then add warm water until the mixture comes up to the middle of the baby's sides (where the top shell meets the bottom shell. This is called the bridge). Leave the baby soaking in there for at least a half hour. You can put a light over him to keep him warm, but keep checking to be sure it doesn't get too hot. Do this every day and you should start to see an improvement in about 3 days.

This soaking is for loss of appetite and vit. A deficiency. If your baby has septicemia, the soaks won't help that in the least. Prognosis is not good if its septicemia.

miss28

5 Year Member
I just took him to the vet he passed. Thank you for your help. I dont know what went wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry for your loss.

miss28

5 Year Member
My name is Melisa and I am in St.Louis MO. I could tell a difference between the two instantly. I soaked him everday. The other one is extrmemly active and eats a ton. The vet thinks he was sick when I got him. They are estimated 6 months old. I have done so much research Im really confused. Especially because he was starting to eat and be more active until he got that shot. I wish I wouldnt have let the vet do that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melisa:

Well, you now know for next time...no Vit A injections! Most foods contain enough vitamin A. And its pretty easy to get some of this vitamin into your tortoise without an injection. Don't dwell on it. What's done is done.

You've come to a good place to keep your remaining baby alive and healthy. When you feel better, I'd love to see pictures of your leopard tortoise baby.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sorry... hatchlings are heartbreakers....

when you are ready.. post more info about your set up, diet etc.. and maybe we can see something that we can help you fix. IF there is something.. Sometimes the little guys just dont make it... no fault of yours.
how long did you have him?

I think Id also make sure the vet you used was a reptile vet with tortoise expereince, and not just one who wanted to try to help. big difference.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear about the little guy, and a sad welcome to the forum. I hope you don't give up and use this info for next time( if there is one regarding a sick tortoise)

miss28

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your support. The other one is doing great. Eating and extremely active. I love there personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.