Leopard Tortoise Housing

John Stratton

Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice.I get my leopard tortoise home tomorrow which Im going to get either a one year old or a 2 and half year old.I have been getting the table ready, which I have a sandy area and a sandy/soily area. Also I have a about 50% of the table with top soil which I have just planted some grass seeds, these seeds are lyin on top of the soil still, will it be ok to put my tortoise in this table tomorow before the grass has grown as he may eat the seeds?

Any other recommendations for my table?I may also get a small substrate area. I have a lamp which gives off heat and UV light, but was planning on getting a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat so it can be turned off when the temperature is reached with a separate UV lamp on a 12hour timer to create day/night, is that correct for lighting and heat?

I was going to feed him dandelions and fresh grass to start and lettuce until the weeds and grass inside the tabel grows.Any advice will be appreciated thanks.

JOhn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi John, and welcome to the Forum!

I always like to see tortoises set up outside if the weather's good. I keep my leopard babies in something like this during the summer:

Outside:
leopard hatchling pen 3-16-14 a.jpg

If you'll notice the plastic shoe box...I bring them in at night in that and just cover it with shredded paper, then take them back out in the a.m.Leopard hatchling pen 3-16-14 B.jpg

Inside:
leopard babies 12-02-14.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if you don't mind me asking how big is your tortoise and how big is its enclosure?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco