tortoise table Heating arrangement

Theo2002

Location (City and/or State)
Hastings
instead of going from side wall to side wall, put up stancheons at either end with a cross piece across the whole thing, stancheon to stancheon and drape the plastic across that.

an example:

View attachment 311153View attachment 311154

I have read before that a tortoise table should be open topped to some extent in order to help the tortoise thermoregulate. Additionally is humidity as of much more importance in a leopard the size of mine as opposed to a hatchling?

I got my leopard when it was very young and so was I, therefore I had no clue how much maintenance would go into looking after a leopard in comparison to other smaller species of tortoise. I am trying my best to make sure it is in the correct environment which is quite difficult here in the uk, especially during winter where we have almost no opportunity to put her outside in the garden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, babies don't need to thermoregulate. I keep baby enclosures 80°-85°F day and night all over the whole enclosure. And just to be clear, when talking of 'closed enclosures' we're talking babies, not juveniles or adults.

Theo2002

Hastings
In my opinion, babies don't need to thermoregulate. I keep baby enclosures 80°-85°F day and night all over the whole enclosure. And just to be clear, when talking of 'closed enclosures' we're talking babies, not juveniles or adults.
Okay so my closure can be relatively open then for my tortoise as she is 6 years old? Providing that I keep the humidity and temperatures correct.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Humidity is not all that important anymore either. For your 6yr old I would pour a pitcher of water into a corner, mix it up with my hands then allow the top layer to dry out. If you have a hard time keeping temperature up then partially covering might help. And at that age you can have a hot zone, a warm zone and a cool zone, with an overnight drop in temperature.

Theo2002

Hastings
Humidity is not all that important anymore either. For your 6yr old I would pour a pitcher of water into a corner, mix it up with my hands then allow the top layer to dry out. If you have a hard time keeping temperature up then partially covering might help. And at that age you can have a hot zone, a warm zone and a cool zone, with an overnight drop in temperature.
Thankyou so much for the help, sorry to be annoying but I do have one last question?
What quantity of food would you recommend for my tortoise? I struggle to find much information about older leopard tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put down enough food for there to be some left at the end of the day. They keep going back to it all day.