Arielle.shull

Location (City and/or State)
Simpsonville South Carolina
Hey y'all. Im building a tortoise table. How large should it be for 2 adult leopard tortoises. They will be inside during the colder months, but outside for spring, summer, and fall.

Arielle.shull

They are hatchlings right now but I dont want to waster money on making a small one when I could just make a larger one now. I have a whole room for them so it doesnt matter the size.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
They are hatchlings right now but I dont want to waster money on making a small one when I could just make a larger one now. I have a whole room for them so it doesnt matter the size.

A leopard tortoise needs 80-100% humidity, which can’t be achieved in an open topped table.
Also, if they’re being kept together, they need to be separated. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Be sure to give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

As babies, they need large closed chambers. As adults they will need something the size of a room. No "table" will be large enough, unless its a table the size of a room.

Arielle.shull

A leopard tortoise needs 80-100% humidity, which can’t be achieved in an open topped table.
Also, if they’re being kept together, they need to be separated. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Be sure to give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I'm sorry. But I disagree. This is a Desert species. Ive raising many hatchlings in a smaller table without humidity. They are fine. If you stuck them in 80-100% humidity, they will most likely get sick. So, no, i will not be following you advise. Thanks.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm sorry. But I disagree. This is a Desert species. Ive raising many hatchlings in a smaller table without humidity. They are fine. If you stuck them in 80-100% humidity, they will most likely get sick. So, no, i will not be following you advise. Thanks.

This is not a desert species. They are born during monsoon season in Africa as well as spending their time in warm, humid burrows. They will not get sick with the proper temps(never falling below 80). Can we see pictures of the babies you’ve raised?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No they are not a desert species.

I've been experimenting with the best way to raise them for over a decade now and the results are right here on this forum. I've done side-by-side comparisons with clutch mates. The difference is astounding. I can assure you that after raising more than 100 leopard tortoise hatchlings this way, they do not get sick and they do not get shell rot, as so many old wrong books and "experts" would have you believe. I've personally start hundreds of hatchlings this way of several different species, and other people all over the globe have duplicated the methods, all with positive results.

Its a shame for you, and especially for your tortoises, that you'd be so closed minded about this, but suit yourself.

Chasen

Galveston

I too used to think the way you do in regards to the habitat we provide these guys. In July I purchased a hatchling that was started dry and maintained dry. This baby was just not thriving. Not putting on any growth, not eating much and was less active than I felt it should be. Then I stumbled upon this forum and took the advice given. It was months of high humidity, daily soaks (I was even at a point where I accepted what I perceived as the inevitable death) and even carrot soaks before she turned a corner and is now growing like a weed. All this in a closed chamber (to this day) with 100% humidity, proper temps, proper lighting and daily soaks. I will be eternally grateful to those on this forum with the experience and knowledge to point me in the proper direction. It saved my tort's life.

I'm curious about the "many hatchlings" you've already raised. Where are you housing them? I can't help but wonder that if you've had such success in the past, why are you asking for advice now? Why not just continue doing what you've been doing?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Just curious, do you still have the torts you raised in tables? Can we see pics? Are they smooth or pyramided? I seen your adoption post and I'm pretty sure I remember you said you only babysat torts for friends? I could be wrong though.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hey y'all. Im building a tortoise table. How large should it be for 2 adult leopard tortoises. They will be inside during the colder months, but outside for spring, summer, and fall.

Since they’re still hatchlings if you are going to use a table it would have to be kept small until they are older, otherwise the heat gradients will be too intense for the hatchlings to handle, the enclosure should be kept warm at all times whilst tortoises are hatchlings. Vivariums or small tortoise tables are best whilst tortoise is small.

When the tortoise is fully grown, a table will not suffice, even for one alone, a leopard tortoise can grow up to 45cm and would need a ton of room to roam and thrive, with another tortoise it would simply be too hard to make a table for them, you might as well convert a room for them when they are older due to their size.

Also it is not wise to keep two leopards together, territorial or not, it can encourage breeding behaviour, disease and competition, which can all lead to an issue with growth and development (Also if thinking of breeding these tortoises bare in mind the importance of avoiding inbreeding, and the fact there are so many homeless tortoises already).

And all tortoises, desert or not should be kept at high humidity to prevent pyramiding. Leopards and Sulcatas are both born in the rainy season of Africa and develop in damp burrows for the first months of their lives. 80% or higher should try to be maintained in the enclosure, but having the enclosure at 60% is reasonable also. Low thirties in heat.

Plan your enclosures to get bigger as they age, rather than providing a massive amount of space immediately, it could cause them to become reclusive, or can make it difficult to manage the correct environment. Please take note of everyone’s advice here, many people on this forum have raised tortoises longer than I have even been alive! And the first months of a tortoises life are essential in how they will develop for the rest of their years, just like a child. So be aware of what responses you get as they are important in providing the best future for your shelled babies!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Sometimes people just already have an idea they want to run with, for whatever their reasons are. Just sucks when members take the time to explain and provide options for the inexperienced who already have made up their mind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's just no way two adult leopard tortoises can live in a tort table. They need a whole bedroom, and if you can't do that, then a very large enclosure on the floor of a bedroom, bigger than a double bed. Most of us with adult leopards keep them in heated sheds outside.

Chasen

Galveston
There's just no way two adult leopard tortoises can live in a tort table. They need a whole bedroom, and if you can't do that, then a very large enclosure on the floor of a bedroom, bigger than a double bed. Most of us with adult leopards keep them in heated sheds outside.
I suspect that she didn't get the feedback she wanted to hear and she's moved on to a place where she will get the answers she wants.