Leopard Tortoise Indoor Enclosure

HollieK

Location (City and/or State)
East Midlands, UK
Hi. My 7 m/o tortoise (Flint) currently lives in a tortoise table (misinformed before I bought him) with a pvc greenhouse on top and tarp underneath to keep the humidity in but I'm looking to upgrade and just wanted to know whether my idea would be suitable. I'm looking at getting a custom built planter like the one attached but slightly shorter (120cm x 60cm) and cover with the greenhouse attached to fit exactly. Would this be suitable for a young tortoise? Obviously I'd increase the size once he's grown but he has a lot of space even now in his much smaller table so I think it should last a decent amount of time. I'd hang the lights from the greenhouse and grow his grass/weeds directly into the top soil for him to forage. All criticism welcome as I want him to grow as happily as possible. TIA. :)

Attachments

• Planter.jpg
    Planter.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Greenhouse.jpg
    Greenhouse.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 57

AmberD

Ontario
I think that would work! You'd have to make sure the greenhouse was sturdy enough for hanging lights from, but other than that a creative idea!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Go bigger now and you will get away with it for a long time. I have that greenhouse. Yes, it will work. I have mine sitting on a cement floor in my basement. I put styrofoam insulation on the floor, a tarp over that and then the greenhouse. Make sure tarp is bigger then the greenhouse. Then use a good heavy duty tape and tape the tarp up around the sides of the bottom part of the greenhouse. This will hold any water from going on the floor and will save you the money of building the wood portion. The greenhouse will hold the lights.

Jess H

Suffolk UK
Hi. My 7 m/o tortoise (Flint) currently lives in a tortoise table (misinformed before I bought him) with a pvc greenhouse on top and tarp underneath to keep the humidity in but I'm looking to upgrade and just wanted to know whether my idea would be suitable. I'm looking at getting a custom built planter like the one attached but slightly shorter (120cm x 60cm) and cover with the greenhouse attached to fit exactly. Would this be suitable for a young tortoise? Obviously I'd increase the size once he's grown but he has a lot of space even now in his much smaller table so I think it should last a decent amount of time. I'd hang the lights from the greenhouse and grow his grass/weeds directly into the top soil for him to forage. All criticism welcome as I want him to grow as happily as possible. TIA. :)
Size wise it seems good, but there's no way for him to see anything other than straight up? My Leopard (I think until nearly 4yrs) had a very large aquarium tank with tall sides and a sheet of perspex balanced on top. After that, I gave him a double section of kitchen worktop with the cupboards either side and wall at the back, with an old window as the front. I used the window hinges to screw to the worktop edge, so I could drop it down for cleaning. He watched what we were doing when not sleeping, which would be impossible in a planter, could you replace one side of it with a long window? I've no doubt you'd find him watching you. Mine has grown up extremely friendly and likes a cuddle/being carried about and being stroked as a result of his feeling included in family goings on.