Leopard Tortoise Not Growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babysan

5 Year Member
I have a 7mo old leopard tort. Eats mainly clover, endive and escarole. He does also munch on his orchard and timothy hay. I recently started mixing his endive and escarole (his favorites) with zoomed grassland formula. As far as I can tell, he's atleast eating some of it. I know he's eating well..everytime I go by the cage he's eating something and he certainly makes a mess. For the summer I had him in an outdoor enclosure almost every day, weather permitting where he at clover, grasses and whatever grows in the tortoise see mix I purchased. But I swear this little guy hasn't gained an ounce. He's still the same size as when I bought him. Others notice it too. Any ideas? I've heard the leopard grow quickly. not my guy!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
Do you have a scale to weigh him with? That would be the first thing. Also have you measured him? People who see something everyday dont always see growth. So know you should find a way to weigh him and measure him and watch for another couple months. Plus if you could eventually post his weight, some one might be able to tell you if it sounds right or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, make a tracing on a piece of paper of the outline of your baby. Then in a month or so take out that same tracing and put the baby back on it for a new tracing. You might be surprised that he really IS growing after all.

Yvonne

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
They do grow at a steady pace which makes it difficult to see how much they actually do change. Get a small scale and start tracking the growth. I've noticed introducing mazuri into their diet along with the greens promotes a bit faster growth in mine.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.