Leopard Tortoise Poop!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
UPDATE:
Hi :)
As far as I am aware, Lady Dorothy still hasn't had a 'movement'.
With that being said though, she remains active, alert, and is eating normally.
I'm beginning to wonder if she really is eating it or burying it. I have had a look around her enclosure but have found nothing.

So far I have tried:
Stimulating foods (lettuce, cucumber)
Daily long baths
Installing a larger soaking pool
Increasing temperatures
Small dose of lactulose

I wasn't able to try the car ride method as everyone I know who has a car is busy working and getting ready for Christmas.

Again, Lady Dorothy is acting fine. So I'm not at the stage where I'm worrying too much. I think she will have a 'movement' sooner or later, but if it was something serious I would have expected some behaviour changes by now.

I spoke to her previous owner who confirmed she's not had this problem before.

Here she is, sunbathing this evening :) View attachment 158702

Awwwww, that's so precious. Because tortoises digestive system is so slow, it usually takes about two weeks to pass what she ate two weeks ago. So, if it hasn't been two weeks, give or take, then wait patiently. On the other hand, if it's been more than two weeks, and she begins to show signs of lethargy, take her to a vet asap. Because, when they get to a point where they stop eating, along with lethargic behavior, it can quickly become critical at that point. How long has it been since you've seen poop?

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Awwwww, that's so precious. Because tortoises digestive system is so slow, it usually takes about two weeks to pass what she ate two weeks ago. So, if it hasn't been two weeks, give or take, then wait patiently. On the other hand, if it's been more than two weeks, and she begins to show signs of lethargy, take her to a vet asap. Because, when they get to a point where they stop eating, along with lethargic behavior, it can quickly become critical at that point. How long has it been since you've seen poop?

That's what I'm worried about. If it gets to that point, I will have her into a vet straight away.
I got her on the 20th of November, and I haven't seen poop since then. I did however change her bedding, so I may have discarded poop without realising (it wasn't something I was looking out for during that time).

So that's 25 days. She has wee'd though :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's what I'm worried about. If it gets to that point, I will have her into a vet straight away.
I got her on the 20th of November, and I haven't seen poop since then. I did however change her bedding, so I may have discarded poop without realising (it wasn't something I was looking out for during that time).

So that's 25 days. She has wee'd though :)

Maybe you should try this. Take all the substrate out and put a pee pad or paper towels instead. If she poops, you'll definitely see it. If not, it'd it's been a couple of weeks more, get her in to see the Vet.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Maybe you should try this. Take all the substrate out and put a pee pad or paper towels instead. If she poops, you'll definitely see it. If not, it'd it's been a couple of weeks more, get her in to see the Vet.
I like that idea a lot. I'll do that, thank you! :)

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
UPDATE:
Great news guys! Lady Dorothy has finally had a 'poop'!
I genuinely danced around the room (LOL!) :)

I'm just so so glad that she's not impacted.
@Lyn W - you were right! It was like a small pony had been in her enclosure!

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Your advise has been second to none & I appreciate the level of expertise you guys have :)

[I hope this thread will come in useful should anyone have a similar issue in future. I may ask @Yvonne G if she could change the name to something like 'Leopard Tortoise Poop' so it's easier to find if people are worried about their own Leo.]

Thank you!
& Merry Christmas from me, and Lady Dorothy!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450195128.919084.jpg

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Haha! @Yvonne G
I was going to take one but I thought it may put people off their dinner!
She had a poop, and then I bathed her and then it was like a volcano erupting ha :)
I think she's 'cleared out' now! =D

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
[Update]
Lady Dorothy is like a brand new Tortoise since pooping. She's even pooped twice since my last post. @Yvonne G - I don't have photos, but it looked greenish. Would you say that's normal?
I thought she was already active but she seems even more active now :)

[Thank You!]
Thanks again guys for the advise, you have all been brilliant.
My next plan of action is to start building a really large outdoor enclosure for the Summer (we have about 8 acres & two blocks of stables) so I'm currently trying to work out the safest and best place for her. I think, I may just surrender my garden and let that become her palace in the Summer with a nice big shed.

Indoors, I need to build or buy a closed chamber (I will most likely build one, as the closest thing to a closed chamber I can find online is a vivarium, and they seem far too small and thin for Lady Dorothy).
If I do build one, I'm aiming for a 5 foot x 5 foot square enclosure. I did have a spare room which I was going to give her, but that's now an office room unfortunately!

@Tom - I know you have created some really good closed chambers. Do you think 5x5 would be big enough as an indoor winter enclosure?

I also need to invest in a better lighting system. Her MVB isn't reaching 100-110F. So I'm going to buy a CHE/or a normal bulb & thermostat and use the MVB to keep the ambient/cool side warm (and provide UVB/UVA.

I would really like to grow some grass in her new closed chamber when it's built, would this grow in Orchid Bark or would I need to add a layer of top toil underneath the bark?

[Lady Dorothy]

We have all fallen in love with LD, she has such a wonderful personality. Again I want to thank you all for the great advise.

Merry Christmas <3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi George so you won't need to start singing
"All I want for Christmas is my tort to poop..."
Thank goodness for that!!

They certainly do steal your heart don't they?
Merry Christmas to you and Dorothy from Lola and I.