Leopard Tortoise Poop!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello Lyn you ok sorry to ask were can you get pak choi? and what does it look like? as am feeding mine the same food but with grass and dandelion mix which they both enjoy, they have just passed the 500gram mark and have growth lines now. Hows lola in this weather?

Hi David long time no see (so to speak) Supermarkets sells Pak choi, e.g.Aldi Morrisons, Tesco but it is not great value for money as you don't get many leaves and I believe that is the only part of the plant you can feed (I don't give stems) so I only buy it when reduced, and the tortoise table recommends feeding in moderation only so it's not a regular part of his winter diet. He won't eat any dried food so a challenge to find variety for him.
Glad to hear your little ones are doing well. Lola is less active and sometimes eats a little less now. The temp has dropped the last couple of days and I don't think he left his hide today as no food touched so he gave me a scare when I got home, but he is Ok and since having his soak he has eaten well and had a good wander through his new play tunnel. He is growing well.

Last edited:

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Update: still no sign of poop =\
Will continue with the warm long soaks. Tomorrow I'll try the car ride method. Hoping that works :)

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
I have found a patch inside Lady Dorothy's "Hide" which is chewed. It's a wooden hide, more like a small stable. I'm wondering if this could be causing the slow down?

Taking into account a new diet of grasses and hay, and a new environment, a week, or even two weeks I'm guessing would be fine without going for a poop, but it's 30 days now & I'm starting to ever so slightly panic.

I did read that some people have had success with very tiny amounts of liquid laxatives, such as lactulose, and I do have some stocked but I like to double, triple check things when it comes to health products.

@Tom any advise re: liquid laxatives?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Generally laxatives aren't advisable in a situation where you don't know if there is a blockage vs. things just moving slowly. I would recommend sticking to using bowel stimulating foods like cucumber, aloe, pumpkin, etc to soften things and get them moving.

I don't know about leopard temps, but usually if you have a critter at the higher end of their range it will help them digest better. Also is she really active? I had a dragon who needed to literally be allowed out for a run before he would poop because it took that much to get things moving.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Generally laxatives aren't advisable in a situation where you don't know if there is a blockage vs. things just moving slowly. I would recommend sticking to using bowel stimulating foods like cucumber, aloe, pumpkin, etc to soften things and get them moving.

I don't know about leopard temps, but usually if you have a critter at the higher end of their range it will help them digest better. Also is she really active? I had a dragon who needed to literally be allowed out for a run before he would poop because it took that much to get things moving.
Thank you for your reply, and the heads up about laxatives.
I'll continue offering stimulating foods, and long warm soaks.
Her behaviour is still completely as it should be.

She's super active, eating, drinking & I'm pretty sure I saw her pee. Not sure how connected the digestive systems of Leopard's are, but would her ability to pee rule out impaction?

I would let her into the garden for a run around, but the outside temperatures here in the UK are about 46F at the moment so that's not really an option =\

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
So, I was going to create a different thread about this issue, but it could be related.
I've noticed the Arcadia D3 bulb I bought (which so far has been brilliant) seems to cool down after about 5-7 hours use.
I read online that this is quite normal, and some people then switch to a normal bulb for late afternoon basking.
Does anyone else do this? In my mind, the cool-down kind of replicates a sunset, whereupon naturally things get cooler?

Ha, I do like to double check everything :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom any advise re: liquid laxatives?

No experience with any sort of laxatives. I would pursue all other methods first.

Do you have a bathtub? Warm soaks in a bath tub will often do the trick. They march incessantly on the slick surface and alł the exercise seems to help get things moving. Soak for a good hour, but keep rewarming the water as needed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So, I was going to create a different thread about this issue, but it could be related.
I've noticed the Arcadia D3 bulb I bought (which so far has been brilliant) seems to cool down after about 5-7 hours use.
I read online that this is quite normal, and some people then switch to a normal bulb for late afternoon basking.
Does anyone else do this? In my mind, the cool-down kind of replicates a sunset, whereupon naturally things get cooler?

Ha, I do like to double check everything :)
Hi George I've not noticed that with my mvb or heard anyone else mention it, but I will check my temps now so thanks for that. Can't remember if you have a CHE/thermostat yet but if you do maybe use that as well so that if mvb does cool then the thermostat will kick I, switch CHE on and keep the temps up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have experience with Lactulose. Since your tort is still eating, I tend to think it's not any dangerous blockage, but rather, constipation of sorts. If the tub baths, car rides, and foods haven't done the job yet, I would use 1/2 ml of Lactulose mixed in his food. Then, wait a day or two. He should go, but if not, try it again until he does. It's totally harmless, and it may help him a pass that nasty stuff. IF that doesn't do the job, it's time to visit a vet and have good x-rays done. Remember, if the tort is eating, this is a good sign that something will do the job. It's when he stops eating that you need to really worry. I hope this works for you.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Hi George I've not noticed that with my mvb or heard anyone else mention it, but I will check my temps now so thanks for that. Can't remember if you have a CHE/thermostat yet but if you do maybe use that as well so that if mvb does cool then the thermostat will kick I, switch CHE on and keep the temps up.

Hi Lyn,
Thank you for your reply :) the cool-down seems to drop the temps from mid to high 30s to high 20s/low 30's after about 5-7 hours use. I have a spare 100w basking bulb that I'm switching on at the moment when the MVB cools, although I think eventually investing in a 100W MVB (currently using an 85W) might make up for cool down.

A CHE/thermostat are top of my list of things to buy after Christmas, at the moment night time temperatures are about 80F.
We run the central heating pretty much 24/7 here.

I have set up a temporary pool for LD under the lamp. The lamp has made the water warm, and I have been changing the water twice daily. She's been soaking in it for about an hour at a time. She's then eating and walking around.
Hopefully this will also help get things moving along.
Water temperature is 28-31C.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449870869.489362.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449870891.302711.jpg

Last edited:

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
I have experience with Lactulose. Since your tort is still eating, I tend to think it's not any dangerous blockage, but rather, constipation of sorts. If the tub baths, car rides, and foods haven't done the job yet, I would use 1/2 ml of Lactulose mixed in his food. Then, wait a day or two. He should go, but if not, try it again until he does. It's totally harmless, and it may help him a pass that nasty stuff. IF that doesn't do the job, it's time to visit a vet and have good x-rays done. Remember, if the tort is eating, this is a good sign that something will do the job. It's when he stops eating that you need to really worry. I hope this works for you.

Thank you for your reply, I'm really glad you said that, it's reassuring. I have been terrified of the word impaction this week.
I have just added some lactulose to her food and she's eaten it. I will continue offering warm soaks.
I'm sure once she goes, things will become regular again. In the mean time, I am doing everything I can so I guess I just have to hope for the best.

-

The advise I've been given on here has been second to none. I really appreciate it :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you do end up giving lactulose don't forget that only a tiny dose will be needed suited to her size and not every day - things stay in torts systems longer so you don't want it to build up in her and OD her

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David long time no see (so to speak) Supermarkets sells Pak choi, e.g.Aldi Morrisons, Tesco but it is not great value for money as you don't get many leaves and I believe that is the only part of the plant you can feed (I don't give stems) so I only buy it when reduced, and the tortoise table recommends feeding in moderation only so it's not a regular part of his winter diet. He won't eat any dried food so a challenge to find variety for him.
Glad to hear your little ones are doing well. Lola is less active and sometimes eats a little less now. The temp has dropped the last couple of days and I don't think he left his hide today as no food touched so he gave me a scare when I got home, but he is Ok and since having his soak he has eaten well and had a good wander through his new play tunnel. He is growing well.
Hello Lynne,
I got the park choi, just a question do i need to cook this or is it ok to feed as it is?
Thanks.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello Lynne,
I got the park choi, just a question do i need to cook this or is it ok to feed as it is?
Thanks.
Hi David I don't cook anything for Lola, I just break the leaves off the top of the stems, wash and feed.
There is a lot of waste with it (unless we can eat the stem. I've never cooked with it so don't really know what bit is used in food for us)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We call it Bok Choi over here and I just toss whole heads in. They can eat the stems and base.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David I don't cook anything for Lola, I just break the leaves off the top of the stems, wash and feed.
There is a lot of waste with it (unless we can eat the stem. I've never cooked with it so don't really know what bit is used in food for us)
Ah thanks i wasn't sure if you could feet the stems or not, or i had to cook it for them, but they turned the nose up to it ha!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We call it Bok Choi over here and I just toss whole heads in. They can eat the stems and base.
Thanks Tom, I wasn't sure which bits I could feed so erred on the side of caution.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Its one of those foods that is usually listed as "feed in moderation, infrequently". I've been doing exactly that for decades. Never had any problem from it.

ditto

BTW, George UK, has our little princess gone potty yet?

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
UPDATE:
Hi :)
As far as I am aware, Lady Dorothy still hasn't had a 'movement'.
With that being said though, she remains active, alert, and is eating normally.
I'm beginning to wonder if she really is eating it or burying it. I have had a look around her enclosure but have found nothing.

So far I have tried:
Stimulating foods (lettuce, cucumber)
Daily long baths
Installing a larger soaking pool
Increasing temperatures
Small dose of lactulose

I wasn't able to try the car ride method as everyone I know who has a car is busy working and getting ready for Christmas.

Again, Lady Dorothy is acting fine. So I'm not at the stage where I'm worrying too much. I think she will have a 'movement' sooner or later, but if it was something serious I would have expected some behaviour changes by now.

I spoke to her previous owner who confirmed she's not had this problem before.

Here she is, sunbathing this evening :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450124902.283786.jpg