Leopard Tortoise - shell help

Status
Not open for further replies.

feebs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi,

We were handed a leopard tortoise a few months ago by a security worker. She was found in a nearby field where they had started construction, and so we placed her in our yard (where the shrubbery etc is quite similar) to keep her safe. Her legs in the front have no "toes" and her skin was quite white, we assumed from damage while in the construction area. She started losing her scutes along the sides, and when I searched online I read an article that this is normal and they should grow back. It's been a few months and is looking worse than ever - her shell is now cracking in places. We have been dusting her food with a calcium powder and a vitamin powder specifically for tortoises.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with her or how to correct this problem? We bring her indoors under a basking light when it's cold, but temperatures are generally quite warm now. Our local vet is not familiar with tortoises and I do not know of any local tortoise rescues. All ideas and advice will be appreciated!!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Poor little thing. I am sure someone on the forum can help. Can you post some pics so that they can see her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Feebs:

Welcome to the forum!!

Am I to understand that this is a natural to your area tortoise?

There's really no way for us to tell what's going on without seeing pictures of the tortoise. Yes, eventually the color pattern or keratin layer will grow back, but it takes a very long time, years. Sounds like the poor tortoise has really been through a rough time. I wish you success in getting her healthy again!

Status
Not open for further replies.