Leopard Tortoise - Shell Rot?

jeankirstein

Hello, i've bought a two year old leopard tortoise a few months ago and this last month i had to travel so i left her with my parents. Since i came back i didn't noticed anything weird about her behavior but today when i grabbed her i noticed her plastron seemed weird. I couldn't remember if it was always like this and unfortunately i never took a picture of her plastron before today. So i've been wondering, is this is shell rot??

She lives in a terrarium heated by a heat bulb (them temps are always around 30ºC - 32ºC) and she spends most of the day outside because the summer as good temps for her. During the winter she lives mostly on her terrarium heated by a mvb. Also i use coco coir as substrate.
gWjBGPEk.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about the white splotches all around the plastron? This looks like it MIGHT be the start of shell rot. Keep her dry docked for a week or so and apply athlete foot cream to the spots daily. That should clear it up. If it starts to get worse, it will start peeling off the top layer over those spots. Then you'll know for sure its shell rot. We have a lot written about the subject and a "search" will turn up those threads for you.

Welcome to the Forum! Very pretty tortoise (from what I can see of it).