Tortieporty

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
Hi there
I had my tortoise out earlier and was inspecting her and noticed what looked like signs of shell rot on her plastron? The top of the shell looks okay to me but is the bottom normally supposed to look like that? She hasn’t been eating as much the past few weeks which I chalked up to preparing for hibernation but is this what I think it is?
I will also be booking her in for a nail clipping very soon as they’re getting quite long
Thank you

Attachments

• F1BB09EB-1E2C-40D6-83D4-C07D3AD1DAA5.jpeg
    F1BB09EB-1E2C-40D6-83D4-C07D3AD1DAA5.jpeg
    937.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 265A3144-B625-4AF2-B299-EB9BC5342319.jpeg
    265A3144-B625-4AF2-B299-EB9BC5342319.jpeg
    973.4 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shell rot is a fungal infection of the plastron and almost exclusive to Red foot tortoises or yellow foot tortoises. Russians, sulcatas and other species almost never get it.

You tortoise looks like it is being housed very dry, but I see no shell rot. Shell rot typically comes from overly wet or damp unsanitary conditions.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

Questions are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All looks good to me. The whitish stuff on the carapace, top shell looks like dried something and can be cleaned off.
She is pyramiding so you do need to get humidity up, 50% for adult 80% for a baby.

Tortieporty

East Yorkshire
All looks good to me. The whitish stuff on the carapace, top shell looks like dried something and can be cleaned off.
She is pyramiding so you do need to get humidity up, 50% for adult 80% for a baby.
Thanks wellington
Those markings are from the breeder, it was the letter i and after 2 years it’s finally starting to fade
I’ve just fixed her up a humid hide but I’m unsure on what to put in it, she gets bathed almost every day when I’m able but she needs this in the enclosure for when I can’t, How does this look? The box will be cleaned but I can’t get to a store anytime soon, would topsoil and some leaf litter suffice for now?

Attachments

• 8E44E988-537A-405A-8229-A9667E812B61.jpeg
    8E44E988-537A-405A-8229-A9667E812B61.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 2
  • E7E1F42E-6136-4EFC-9125-4622B9EEA14B.jpeg
    E7E1F42E-6136-4EFC-9125-4622B9EEA14B.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks wellington
Those markings are from the breeder, it was the letter i and after 2 years it’s finally starting to fade
I’ve just fixed her up a humid hide but I’m unsure on what to put in it, she gets bathed almost every day when I’m able but she needs this in the enclosure for when I can’t, How does this look? The box will be cleaned but I can’t get to a store anytime soon, would topsoil and some leaf litter suffice for now?
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made of composted yard waste and lots of other weird stuff. The people making and selling it do not intend from small animals to be living in/on it. Lots of internet sources recommend it, but they just haven;t figured this out yet. I used to use it and recommend it too, and then I figured this out.

Read that care sheet for proper substrates and lots of other good info too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can just dampen his substrate that's in his enclosure for now. Then when you can get to the store get some orchid bark or coconut coir. Damp leaf litter would work but you will have yo let it dry out so it doesn't mold before you dampen it again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you can just dampen his substrate that's in his enclosure for now. Then when you can get to the store get some orchid bark or coconut coir. Damp leaf litter would work but you will have yo let it dry out so it doesn't mold before you dampen it again.
Did I miss what substrate is already in there that you are telling this person to dampen? And did I miss what type of trees the leaves for this leaf litter are coming from? Some leaves are toxic and tortoises will eat them...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did I miss what substrate is already in there that you are telling this person to dampen? And did I miss what type of trees the leaves for this leaf litter are coming from? Some leaves are toxic and tortoises will eat them...
No, you didn't miss it but you already told them about dirt/soil.
The leaf litter I'm figuring they already know what is safe and what isn't. They have been a member since July.