Leopard Tortoise Substrate Questions

Coconikki

Location (City and/or State)
Sioux Falls, SD
Hello! I have a 6 month old Leopard tortoise. I currently house in a PVC 4 foot enclosure. The substrate I am currently using is Zoomed Eco Earth underneath a layer of Reptile Bark.
This seems to keep my humidity levels good.
My questions are…
I this a good substrate combo?
How often should I replace the substrate?

I have heard someone suggest just changing out the Reptibark every few months, leaving the Eco Earth.
Is that good practice?

Thank you!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to the forum! How about a picture of your tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have a 6 month old Leopard tortoise. I currently house in a PVC 4 foot enclosure. The substrate I am currently using is Zoomed Eco Earth underneath a layer of Reptile Bark.
This seems to keep my humidity levels good.
My questions are…
I this a good substrate combo?
How often should I replace the substrate?

I have heard someone suggest just changing out the Reptibark every few months, leaving the Eco Earth.
Is that good practice?

Thank you!
I don't know why people want to mix substrates, but it appears to be a popular thing to do. I use just plain orchid bark, about 3-4 inches, and it works very well. I find coir to be too messy for most species, but its not harmful if you want to use it this way. Humidity in a PVC closed camber will stay up even with bone dry aspen shaving type substrate, so any damp substrate will work for you.

If you are soaking daily, as you should be, the tortoise will poop and pee in its soaking tub and the enclosure should remain clean. Spot cleaning left over food should keep the mess to a minimum. I don't change out the substrate until the tortoise outgrows the enclosure and I have to move it out.

Coconikki

Sioux Falls, SD
I don't know why people want to mix substrates, but it appears to be a popular thing to do. I use just plain orchid bark, about 3-4 inches, and it works very well. I find coir to be too messy for most species, but its not harmful if you want to use it this way. Humidity in a PVC closed camber will stay up even with bone dry aspen shaving type substrate, so any damp substrate will work for you.

If you are soaking daily, as you should be, the tortoise will poop and pee in its soaking tub and the enclosure should remain clean. Spot cleaning left over food should keep the mess to a minimum. I don't change out the substrate until the tortoise outgrows the enclosure and I have to move it out.
Thanks Tom!